gotta chlorine problem

Sack

Mar 13, 2013
Waco,Tx
Now bare with me. Ive been testing my water on my own for a lil while now with no issues. On Saturday I noticed it get just a little cloudy. It was a little low on chlorine.
FC 2.5
CC 1.5
TA 120
PH 7.5
CYA 60

So i brought it up to shock about 25. Checked next day(Sunday) and it was FC 23.5 and the CC .5 Checked twice today to back up my reading. The first time it was FC 8.5 and CC 1.5 and then FC 10 and CC 1. I am not doing anything different. Use the same amount of powder etc.........I cant believe that I would lose that much chlorine. I can see the bottom. Theres no dirt or anything in the pool. Its just a little hazy. Really no different than the way it was when I was dealing with the pool store. But ive had it crystal clear and im, not sure whats goin on. Need some help

Sack said:
Now bare with me. Ive been testing my water on my own for a lil while now with no issues. On Saturday I noticed it get just a little cloudy. It was a little low on chlorine.
FC 2.5
CC 1.5
TA 120
PH 7.5
CYA 60

So i brought it up to shock about 25. Checked next day(Sunday) and it was FC 23.5 and the CC .5 Checked twice today to back up my reading. The first time it was FC 8.5 and CC 1.5 and then FC 10 and CC 1. I am not doing anything different. Use the same amount of powder etc.........I cant believe that I would lose that much chlorine. I can see the bottom. Theres no dirt or anything in the pool. Its just a little hazy. Really no different than the way it was when I was dealing with the pool store. But ive had it crystal clear and im, not sure whats goin on. Need some help
The cure is the shock process.

The cause is low chlorine for your CYA level. It should never dip below 5.

To prevent it happening again, aim a little higher on the target to pad the FC. Then if you get an exceptionally hot day and/or a bunch of swimmers, you have that cushion to keep FC up.

I have followed the shock process. I am aware I let the chlorine dip thats why I shocked it when the CC was high. Yesterday the readings were fine and today its back down.. It did get fairly warm today though.

So my chlorine readings are inconsistant. I was trying to bring my chlorine level up to shock again last night. Before I did so FC was 16.5 and CC 1 I added 4 gallons of chlorox which according to the chart should have brought it up to 26. The pool circulated for 3 1/2 hours and i tried to check before bed. The reading was way to high so I never got a reading. Is that enough time to circulate before checking? Got up this morning and checked it and the FC 35 and CC .5. Im not sure what im doing wrong if anything. Im at a loss. Have not had this issue till now. Im almost out of powder but I ordered some yesterday. I get the sample from the same spot each time. i also use the quick stir. Dumb question but I fill to the 10 spot and then drop the stir in. Is that the correct way since it raises the level a but?

Sack said:
So my chlorine readings are inconsistant. I was trying to bring my chlorine level up to shock again last night. Before I did so FC was 16.5 and CC 1 I added 4 gallons of chlorox which according to the chart should have brought it up to 26. The pool circulated for 3 1/2 hours and i tried to check before bed. The reading was way to high so I never got a reading. Is that enough time to circulate before checking? Got up this morning and checked it and the FC 35 and CC .5. Im not sure what im doing wrong if anything. Im at a loss. Have not had this issue till now. Im almost out of powder but I ordered some yesterday. I get the sample from the same spot each time. i also use the quick stir. Dumb question but I fill to the 10 spot and then drop the stir in. Is that the correct way since it raises the level a but?
Yes, the testing procedure is correct. Measure, then stirbar.

Doublecheck the poolcalculator. Make sure the gallons didn't go back to default and/or you mistakenly selected 6% instead of 8.25% for the chlorine. That would mess you up.

Sack said:
Yea I double checked and its correct. Im at a loss and not sure what to do next
Wait.

FC will come down on its own, and fairly rapidly, since it's a percentage, not a fixed PPM.

When you do the FAS-DPD test, don't skimp on the powder. Two scoops may be too much, but there should be one or two undissolved granules in the pink water begore you start counting drops. They'll disappear. Too little powder can give a false low reading.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sack said:
Just checked it tonight

FC 14
CC 1

Is the drop too rapid from the readings this morning? The water is still pretty clear. I just cant seem to get accurate readings of late.
You lose chlorine faster at higher concentrations. And the presence of CC tells us that something is still growing in there, which also uses up FC. Keep at it. If it's clear, you're getting close.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.