New to Forum- Pool is Leaking, Can't Find leak!

Jun 3, 2013
Hello,

I am new to this forum. I have a 19 foot above ground pool with a vinyl liner. I have no idea how old anything is because I inherited the pool 7 years ago when I brought my house. I've had issues with it but this year has probably been the worst. I now have a leak somewhere in the pool that began yesterday most likely due to my son using a metal pipe and pole vaulting while in the pool. Unfortunately, I can't see the leak because the water is green. The water is green because I had some issues mainting water pressure in the pool due to a bad head valve and from some debris that fell into the pool while removing the cover. Also the lateral in the filter cracked when I first opened the pool, so there is about 50lbs of sand on the pool floor. The water level dropped almost 4" overnight. I checked the hoses, filter, skimmer, etc. just to make sure the leak wasn't coming from anywhere else but the pool. I really can't afford to replace the liner this year, so if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it. I refilled the 4" lost and added some shock and algaecide to try to get the green out. Thanks.

Well, it'd going to be mighty difficult finding a hole in green water!

I, personally, don't let anyone swim in green water no matter the age. It's very dangerous in my opinion. My biggest fear would be if anyone went under, how would I find them in a green/cloudy pool?!!! :shock:

As far as your son pole vaulting, the hole/s could be much worse and many more than you may think depending on how many times he had done it. I just don't have an easy answer for you. Hopefully someone else does.

I agree with Casey, it's going to be very hard to find the hole(s) with the water green. The hole(s) can be patched once you find them. I don't usually suggest this, but in this case to may be better to drain, clean and patch the hole(s) and then refill.

If you don't want to drain then I suggest you read Pool School on how to "turn your green swamp into an oasis" and get it cleaned up and then patch the hole(s).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.