ok time to buy new heater. suggestions, guidelines?

tvfoxy59

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2008
Buffalo/Niagara Falls NY
Looking online to buy new natural gas heater with I guess an electronic ignition. I had Teledyne Laars 125,000 BTU. How many BTUs should I get, is it determined by piping already there? Bigger, better? Talked to rep at Intheswim. fumbling around. Ease and reliability main issues of course. Then to find someone to install. Had bad experience with last pool service guy. Thanks Teresa

It would help to know where your located, and if the old heater seemed to provide enough heat for you.
Afterall the size of heater needed for your size pool is likely a bit different in Fargo, ND vs Miami, FL
You can put your location in your profile like most of us have.

You are limited in BTUs by the size of your gas line, unless you intend to increase it too. Do you know the length of the run and diameter of the pipe?

Larger heaters will do the same job in less time ... using basically the same amount of gas.

Seem to recall a few threads recommending the Raypaks

I mean the gas pipe from the gas meter to the heater ... that determine how much gas can be supplied and limits the size of the heater. If it is over-sized, you may be able to increase the size of the heater if you wanted.

It's about 5 feet from heater to gas meter. I would be willing to go up in size whatever to get more heat quicker,etc. Here in Buffalo we/I just want to go in as much as possible. I can only go in if its at least 80 to 83. Heart condition plus dang i just like it like that!! :lol:

That would likely not cost too much if you did have to increase the pipe size ... you may need to get a larger meter as well (free in some places).

A 400k BTU heater will heat the water about 3 times faster than your 125k BTU heater did.

You likely need to consult with a local installer to find out if a pipe size increase would be required and the cost.

Thanks for quick replies. Local installer do you mean someone like pool company or anyone else who can do it? i am sorry i am struggling. you have been great. If i order online it seems hard to find local installer because they of course want you to order from them. Besides pool company what other people/professions do this?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.