Jandy JVA 2440 cam adjustment problem

Jun 3, 2013
I recently replaced a stripped gear for a Jandy 2440 Valve Actuator on the return side of our filter. I didn't pay close enough attention to the cam settings though and after everything was put back together, the actuator was not cycling correctly through the valve positions on the Jandy power center (in order, those positions are pool mode, spa mode, spa drain, and spa fill.) The big problem seems to be that we need the actuator to stop at three different positions not just two. Those positions are:
Position #1 is for pool mode: Water returns to both the spa (for the spillover) and the pool.
Position #2 is for spa mode: water returns only to the spa
Position #3 is for spa drain: water returns only to the pool
Position #2 is for spa fill: same as spa mode, water returns only to the spa.

Does anyone have experience setting the cams on a Jandy 2440 (or 2444) so the actuator can stop in three different positions?

Thanks!

Thanks, that's what I thought. Was going crazy trying to see how the actuator originally had three positions but I guess it never did. At the very least, the search for an answer got me to TFP!

Thanks again for your quick response.

Steve Bennett said:
The big problem seems to be that we need the actuator to stop at three different positions not just two. Those positions are:
Position #1 is for pool mode: Water returns to both the spa (for the spillover) and the pool.
Position #2 is for spa mode: water returns only to the spa
Position #3 is for spa drain: water returns only to the pool
Position #2 is for spa fill: same as spa mode, water returns only to the spa.
I think you are saying you have a spa that overflows into your pool. That is the configuration that I have. On my pool, what you call position 1 and position 3 are the same. The cam on the return valve is set so that in "pool mode" it is not at the totally open (to the pool) position and allows some flow into the spa. Most of the water goes to the pool but some of the water to go to the spa and overflows into the pool. The valve on the suction side is set to “pool”. A check valve in the spa return line keeps water from draining back into the pool when the pump is off. For the spa drain mode, the return valve stays in the "pool mode" position and the suction valve is set to “spa”. Some of the water returns to the spa and that increases the draining time slightly. Again, you must have a check valve on the spa return for this method to work.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Thanks Mike, our spa does overflow into our pool and it sounds like you and I have the same setup. I was incorrectly assuming that prior to fixing the stripped gear, the actuator was going to a third position for spa drain but it must have been going back to position#1 for pool/spa split return just like yours.

Now I realize I may have additional problems with this actuator:
I reset the cams and was testing it by pressing the VALVE button on the power center. It was doing fine going back and forth between the two positions (counter clockwise till the top cam engaged the switch, then back clockwise till the bottom cam engaged its switch) but sometimes it would not go back in the opposite direction. It would stop like it should but then on the next button push it would continue in the direction it was going prior to stopping. Does that sound like a bad microswitch maybe?

Steve,
It sounds to me like something in the actuator (bad switch, loose switch, bad connection, etc.). Try controlling the valve position by switching the JVA On/Off/Synchronization toggle switch on the back of the actuator to see if you get the same symptoms - that would pretty much confirm it is in the actuator. I'd make sure the switch and cam were solidly mounted, wiggle the wires inside (Valve on - pump off) with an insulated tool, and then probably end up replacing the switch.

Amazon has a cam and micro switch replacement kit for $28.81.
http://www.amazon.com/Zodiac-R0408600-Microswitch-Replacement-Actuator/dp/B008E6IRLQ

Here's just the switch for $12.00
http://www.poolpartsonline.com/p-83086-microswitch.aspx

Good luck,
Mike

Wanted to post a quick follow up to close the loop on this issue. First off, thanks for the tips. Very helpful info. In the end, I decided to just get a new actuator rather then put any more money into the old one. Turned out to be a good move. Jandy's new model is the 2444. It's basically the same as the 2440 with some noticeable differences. Most important is the new cam design which makes it very easy to make adjustments now. Price was right around $100. Easy install and adjustments.

One final note: Jandy customer support is fantastic. You'll wait on hold a while but only because their staff will really dig into your problem and try to help you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.