Flying ants?

Hey all, last night a thunderstorm came upon us rather quickly. We were kind of in a rush to get out of he pool and left 3 of those swim ways rafts in the pool overnight. This morning more storms came through and now it has cleared up. The rafts were covered with those big ants with wings. Just wondering if other folks in the south have this? Was it because of the storms or is it just something that happens overnight. I would hate to be swimming late at night and get swarmed by these things. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, Ryan

My neighbors have a lot of trees and I think they blow in / down from those. It seems to be heavy for a while then they go away. I went out one morning and they were all huddled up on the vacuum hose playing king of the hill trying to stay out of the salt water. They seem to have dwindled a lot so far for me.

I have heard them called "Drone" ants and today we have hundreds of them swimming in our pool. I just spent 30 minutes with the net ushering most of them into the skimmer baskets. We had 1-2 inches of rainfall early yesterday morning and for some reason, that seems to bring them around. What a nuisance! We want to go for a swim later, but will probably end up spending even more time skimming them off the pool first. If anyone has a solution to keeping these dumb drones away, I would love to hear it!!

Same problem here in north Louisiana. We noticed after a quick rain a couple days ago, the ants would fall out of the trees when a nice little gust of wind would blow by.

I'm not aware of any way to prevent this though, other than keeping the pool cover on while not in use. Maybe keep the skimmer handy while swimming to grab any that dive in.

We started getting them this weekend, too, here in South Florida. It happens every year in late Spring or early Summer for a few days. I don't know if it's the temperature or the rain that brings them out, but those flying ants are pretty reliable!
Alan

we get them in austin tx. They also bite. We have had them for about the last week. We also had them last may. Rain recently took the water level above the skimmers so we werent getting rid of them. Water level finally evaporated so the skimmers are clearing them out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello, i am in South Carolina and we have those biting little buggers. Last night we fogged before going for a swim but right after that it came up a fast windy storm so cant say it the fogging worked but I will let you know next time we fog if it helps. I am thinking it should since they are flying and it is a fog for flying insects, keeping fingers crossed!!

I live south of Chicago, IL and we had them either last year or the year before. From what my lawn guy told me, the come out of the ground once a year to mate. Ours happened after a rain also and it was like a plague outside. You couldn't even be out there because there were flying ants everywhere. Took me days to get them out of my pool.

We had a big rainstorm on Memorial day down here in West Texas. myself and another pool owner live 30 miles away from each other. We both had the same blasted bugs in our pools.

Just a note from California since you all seem to be in the South. We had a ~1-day swarm of them here as well. Not as many as it sounds like some of you get and it lasted less than two days. I don't remember seeing them last year, at least not in any significant numbers. This time there were dozens and dozens (not quite hundreds, I'd say) all over the pool.

We got these in North Fort Worth, TX also... Shortly after a rain.

What I'm concerned about is my filter now. Looks like these guys are small enough to make it through the baskets. Think I'll need to clean out the big boy filter this weekend now.

Skimmer socks may be a help for you. If the skimmer is not too large you can use Knee-Hi stockings.

Termites swarm too. You have to look closely at them to tell the difference.

termite-vs-flying-ant_350x240.jpg

Of course that's the first thing I thought when I saw them because my neighbor had termites not too long ago. There are enough of them that I was able to examine several of them closely enough to tell that they are just flying ants (THANK GOD!) but I have NO IDEA where they are coming from. I can stand there for 10 minutes staring at the air over the pool and never see a single flying ant, then look at the pool and all of a sudden theres like 5 on the surface lol.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.