Chemistry out of control. Must drain and refill

May 14, 2013
It looks like my pool will have to be drained, refilled and re balanced. This time I want to do it myself and use the BBB method! Heres the situation:

1. FC over 5.. maybe 10
2. CC off the scale as well
3. PH 7.4 to 7.5. I tested 3 times
4. total alc 150
5. calcium 290 to 300
CYA over 200. I tested three times. Also diluted sample 50/50 with distilled water and multiplied x 2. Test results consistent

Pool has an unpleasant smell. It is normally covered, but is now open and in direct sun.

The water I want to refill with has a PH of 7.5. total alc of 40 FCL 0 calcium 40

The pool is plaster, 1 year old

The pool calculator says drain up to 80% and refill, so I might as well drain it completely

1. Will the cured plaster be at risk when I drain it? It will take about 30 hours to refill with my water source.

2. What should the sequence of chemicals be? I will have large quantities of BBB on hand as well as Acid, seqestrant and CYA

The pool is cured, but essentially new. I'd hate to ruin it!

Thanks for the help. Maybe I'm just over thinking the process!

. Will the cured plaster be at risk when I drain it? It will take about 30 hours to refill with my water source.
In that seemingly dry climate, I think you would do better not completely draining the pool but rather replace the water in increments.

I would suggest you drain 1/3, refill, then drain 1/3 more, refill, etc. until you have reached a goal of about 50 ppm CYA. Then, you can start the shock process.

Thanks Dave. That's seems like a safer alternative than draining the whole pool and having it bone dry. My water is free except for the cost of electricity to pump it about 100 vertical feet, a small price to pay compared to city water.

I'll post the results of the process.

F.

Any progress? Please post an update. Thank you.

Hi Casey. I should have an update by the end of this weekend. Too many kids came over yesterday and wanted to swim... and the pool actually looked pretty good. The water quality looks better the cover left open 24/7. I also retested CyN and the levels were not 200. The tests consistently indicated 110+. CL is 3-5, PH 7.8. So, I'll drain 1/3 tonight and start the balancing process. The incoming water is soft ( ca about 40 but the ph is 40, total alc also about 40). Since this is my first time managing all the variables, it should be interesting. Frank F.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.