New Tallman fiberglass pool being installed

WWells

Jun 3, 2013
Dunwoody, GA
After a few years of research and saving we decided on a fiberglass pool from Tallman Pools - 16'x33' Monterey

Next steps - finish backfill, fill with water, get electrical hooked up and pour concrete- then some landscaping

Tallman recommends wait at least 10 days for the concrete deck to be poured

Size: 16' x 33' · Depth: 3' - 5' 6" · Gallons: 11500 · Square Feet: 480

Well, hallelujah, that's good to hear! I'm sure Mr. Caswell from the other post wishes he were in your shoes, since his problem still isn't resolved.

Anyway, welcome aboard. I'm sure you'll enjoy that new pool!

linen said:
Welcome to tfp, WWells :wave:

Wow, your back yard sure looks different with the trees removed :shock:

Looking forward to the rest of your build!

Thanks, yeah it's shocking how much more open the yard is, exposing our yard to neighbors was an unwanted consequence but nothing some tall evergreens won't fix

Alright, pool is in, almost filled, electrician due out today, will still be 10 days or so for concrete....butting up on a family vacation, so either push it within the recommended minimum of 10-14 days (10) or wait another week.....

I would appreciate some insight into decking, will be poured concrete with fiber mesh...

Considerations:

Owners- mid 30s married couple, 2 Labradors and a few hooligan friends

Proposed 48" fence, will run fence-to-fence -green fence stakes are a guide to where it would be, will add plastic safety fence after backfill, grading, electrical is done today/tomorrow - until concrete is poured
*will keep dogs out of pool
*will make us code compliant with 48" fence, correct gate- self closing and latching with 54" magna latch- opens outward

Decking- we really dont want more concrete than we need, later may add other areas of gravel, pavers - concrete was what the budget allowed- will be finished with Behr concrete paint stuff in a couple/few months
* the way I figure it the portion on the house side would be around 550 sq/ft- enough for table chairs, 4-6 loungers, some other chairs
its bigger than our screened porch and deck by 75 sq/ft or so
* the deck/screened porch (off kitchen) is where we entertain currently, areas include flat screen/stereo, grill, outdoor furniture, etc
* it would tapper to 3' around the right, back and left sides of the pool, might go 4'

Landscaping-
* Sod to the right of pool (420 sq/ft), its a nice private area blocked from neighbors, left side is pretty wide open
* Neighbors house to be blocked with some mature 12-14' giant green arborvitae and filled in with some less mature ones (less $$$)
* the other area to be covered in hardwood chips from family tree removal company, its free, easy to stain, will have to see what the rain runoff does to it, if a mess will replace with something else, area close to house may not get much sun, so grass would be an issue

Which way is north in these photos?

How much sun will the area you are going to lay sod get per day? What type of sod?

If you aren't going to have irrigation installed, keep in mind you'll need to keep water on the grass, and those big trees watered all summer. I'd get some of those green water bags for the big trees, might consider staking them for this year.

I would suggest more than 3' of concrete on far side of pool. Maybe go out by pool and measure 3" off of it, then try to set a chair there, then have someone try to walk between your legs and the pool, it will be very tight. In fact depending on the direction of the sun in the evening you might want a little area on far side of the pool to sit as well.

Are they going to do your decking like mine, all one pour, in other words no real coping? It was not recommended by this site for me to do it that way, but i've not had any problem. However it's only been one year. I only mention it because they were able to really compact mine well next to pool walls, not sure how well they can compact next to fiberglass pool.

I lived in Roswell for years, still commute 4000 when 75/575 is bad. Back in the day i worked for Sharp tree service during college.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That neighbors house is due north, so the sun sets to the west, afternoon it is beaming front of house, so the area closest to the house doesnt get much sun, creates a nice shaded area where most of the concrete will be-----sod recommendations? there wont be anyone on the back side of the pool, it will just be for maintenance, some sidewalks on out lot are like 32" and I use them all the time - might consider 4', wife and I will look at it this weekend
- yes, they will do one pour, with these forms that pool manufacturer provided, its the look I wanted- plan to later finish the concrete and seal

- Tallman recommended to wait 10-14 days to allow for compaction, will be gone a week so it will end up being about 17 days, more the better I read - I am sure all that rain last night help fill in any areas in the backfill, coming tomorrow to finish backfill, grade...

Fortunately I havent had to daily commute around Atlanta for last 8 years or so, I work from home and travel, so back/forth to airport often

My pool is exactly at the same state as yours....waiting for concrete pour, have a fiberglass as well.

All I gotta say, SORRY - but 3' around the pool will make you crazy. I have 4 laid out and it still feels a bit tight. I know it might put you over budget....just to give you an idea, attached is my proposed plan. Not that you need all this, just giving you some design ideas. I have 1' of paver coping and then 3' of concrete to bring sides to 4' (might go bigger)

[attachment=0:2zz833zh]pool patio - update 3.jpg[/attachment:2zz833zh]

Attachments

• pool patio - update 3.jpg
    pool patio - update 3.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 458
toofast said:
Oh ok, guess I was not totally sure how your concrete was laid out, now it makes sense. Best of luck, by the way - my FG install was as smooth as yours...I did MONTHS of research and so far very happy with my choice.

awesome, I did a lot of research, got a few cases of paralysis by analysis for over thinking the project

mine has gone great, I am still waiting on the guys to come back and finish backfill, was some misunderstanding on when that should be finished, like to have done by this afternoon, still need to get the salt system going, Tallman is great, just a call away and will guide me through everything

my pentair control panel thing says the water is 74 degrees however the floating thermometer says 70

Well you are a step ahead of me...my heater stopped working 5 minutes after the PB left...and now he is not wanting to come back and fix it ASAP. Said I am being impatient...I think these PB forget how much they charge and they really don't like fixing their mistakes. OH WELL, I think my issue is minor, but annoying say the least.

toofast said:
Well you are a step ahead of me...my heater stopped working 5 minutes after the PB left...and now he is not wanting to come back and fix it ASAP. Said I am being impatient...I think these PB forget how much they charge and they really don't like fixing their mistakes. OH WELL, I think my issue is minor, but annoying say the least.

I hear you, we are working on an issue with the Pentair pump, it was loud yesterday and Tallman had me shut it off and take the back cover off, its quiet then, so working with them to figure out why it is so loud with the cover on, its just plastic with one screw.......

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.