chemical Testing with UV Ozone Generator

May 31, 2013
We have a gunite pool that's approx. 24K gallons. Does a Ozone generate change any pool chemistry as it relates specifically to chlorine?

Chlorine - zero although have been adding 2-3 lbs per day. Never had an algae problem until this year and noticed I can't even keep low levels of chlorine for more than a 1/2 a day...
PH 7.6
CH 600
CYA 100
TA 100
Phosphates 100

Before we drain and refill to reduce the CH and CYA I'm trying to understand if the Generator has any affect on how I manage the chlorine or any other products that go into the pool prior to doing something wrong. Also, if we do drain the pool, does it need to be done slowly or can I rent a pump at 3300 gallons per hour to take out the recommended TFP 60% is suggesting in 5 hours or so before refilling? Located in Central TX, pool is inground in limestone.

Thanks for your help an input.

Welcome to TFP!

Ozone will tend to use up chlorine a little more quickly than the pool would without ozone, but otherwise nothing is really different.

By the by, your CYA level is dangerously high, and CH is definitely on the high side (which requires care to make sure PH never goes up to high).

Just pretend the Ozone generator is not there, because that is about how much it affects your water. I was talked into buying one when we had our pool built last year just before I found this forum. Money that could have gone into something more useful like bleach.

I imagine that you could drain your pool the 60% all at once but I'll defer to the experts on that one. What have you been using to chlorinate with?

How did you test the water? Pool store? If so I would bet your CYA may be even higher than 100. It's a test that they don't seem to be too reliable with.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.