how do i wire a 2 speed pump if i bypass timer?

Jun 3, 2013
I have a 2 speed Pentair Whisperflo pump and a Intermatic P1353 timer. The timer has gone bad so I want to know if I can just bypass it and hook up directly to the pump. There are 3 wires coming out of the pump. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

So you want to just have the pump be running 24/7? Are you going to add a switch to select the speed?
Which pump model do you have?

3 wires is not enough going into the motor to also control the speed, unless you only want to wire it for low speed.

thanks for such a quick response I could add a switch later but for now I figured I could just turn it on and off with the breaker. i want to just wire it for low speed now. I have 2 hot wires coming from the breaker for my 230 and 3 wires coming from the pump. One high, one low and one common. The pump is a WFDS-6 230 volt 1 1/2 HP

There should also be a ground wire running to the motor. And a bond wire on the outside of the motor.

If all you want is low, then connect the 2 Lines from the breaker to the Common and Low wires. The speed selection switch could be done with a basic 3-way light switch.

There should be a ground screw in the back of the pump by the other wires. I would certainly suggest you add an insulated ground wire through the conduit. It is not to be connected to the bonding lug.

Did you have a problem with the pump before the timer died? How old is the pump?

The motor is overheating for some reason, could be bad power, bad bearings, bad capacitor, bad windings. Verify you have good voltage and then you can check the capacitors (although admittedly I am not sure how).

i should tell you that when I hooked the common to one of the hot wires and the low speed to the other hot wire, I got nothing. so the way it is running now and getting hot is Low speed to hot and common to where the neutral wire is connected at the breaker. Also, I did run a ground wire. Any thoughts on my dilemna?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Connect 1 Line from the on/off timer to the common screw on the switch. Then the high and low wires from the motor to the other 2 screws on the switch.

The 2nd Line from the timer goes directly to the common in the motor.

Although if it did not work connecting directly to the wires in motor ... adding a switch is sure not going to make troubleshooting any easier.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.