Simple question: When is it ok to swim?

May 30, 2013
I know, seems very simple, but after reviewing testing and treating processes, I'm finally ready to go to work. The pool should be 100% filled by the time I get home from work (wife is at home monitoring). This will also be my first time taking a full scale test results which I will post tonight.

As long as the results fall under the Recommended Levels, the kids should be able to swim, correct?

Vinyl with bleach (from Pool School):
FC 3-7
PH 7.2-7.8
TA 70-90+
CH 50-300
CYA 30-50

My plan is if any chems need to be added, add while the pump is on and wait 30mins to test again.

thanks in advance! This is a GREAT forum!!!!

Hi,

As long as you are within the recommend levels, you should be good to swim. However, they typically say that if you are adding chemicals to wait at least 4 hours or until your pump recirculates the full capacity of your pool. In your case 1900 gal divided by 530 gallons per hour = 3.6 hrs.

Hello there gogetter :wave:

Yes the kids will be able to swim with those readings but there is one measurement missing from your list before you will want to get in there with them. THE TEMPERATURE OF THE WATER! :lol:

Kids can swim in a high 60's mid 70's water but not most normal adults! I don't get in till it's in the 80's. And the temp goes up as I get older! :mrgreen:

Jonnybonz said:
However, they typically say that if you are adding chemicals to wait at least 4 hours or until your pump recirculates the full capacity of your pool. .

Who is "they"??? Pretty sure I have never seen anything like that on this forum.

You really only need to wait about 1 hour after adding some chemicals (bleach, muriatic acid) as that will get it mixed well into the water. Other less harsh chemicals could be added while you are swimming.

It is safe to swim when:
1. FC > minimum for your CYA (see chart in Pool School)
2. FC < shock level for your CYA (see chart in Pool School)
3. CC at or < 0.5
4. Water is clear (make sure you can see someone on the bottom of the pool)
5. pH is in range (for comfort)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.