What size Hayward Super Pump do I need?

May 31, 2008
OK
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a 9000 gallon IG, 1 1/2 " piping, 4 discharge eyelets.

I currently have a 3/4 HP Hayward Super Pump but I need to replace it and would like to know if I should stay with the same or go down to 1/2 HP or up to 1 HP. I am not sure about the exact length of piping in the ground.

Let me know what other information you would need from me to help me figure this out. Thanks everyone!

You might want to think about getting a two speed 3/4 or 1 HP pump. That will save money by running on low speed and have full speed available if you should happen to need it.

What filter do you have? You don't want to increase the size of the pump unless the filter can handle it.

I would stay with 3/4 HP or smaller because of the filter. The S-200 has a 44 GPM design flow rate. The 3/4 HP Super Pump is probably putting out about 30 to 40 GPM, which is reasonable with that filter. However, if you moved up to a 1 HP pump it would probably move 40 to 55 GPM, which might well be too much. (All of this is based on a fair bit of guessing about your plumbing.)

With a slightly larger filter a two speed 1 HP pump would have been a good choice. But with that filter you are better off sticking with the 3/4 HP or going down to 1/2 HP. The 1/2 HP pump will save you money on electricity, but it might not have enough suction to vacuum well.

Attachments

• Pool 12.JPG
    Pool 12.JPG
    225.7 KB · Views: 10
Jason:

Your input is always valuable. I had a concern about a mismatch on my filter (sta-rite T-240BP - 62GPM) to my hayward dual speed 1HP. Sounds like your advise here confirms that mine is matched...

BTW, in case something is completely awry: (IG about 17K Gallons, 2 inlets, 3-90deg elbows, approx 90 feet pipe downstream of filter/pump, 20 feet upstream).

Thanks again for your contributions here.

Brett

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.