Another Visitor-This one NOT Welcome

pragmatic

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2011
Friendswood, TX
My teenage son called this morning and said he had to kill a snake. He told me he texted me the before pic, but could not wait for me to get back (i was in a meeting). I immediately thought he killed a "welcome" Rat Snake. Well..I was wrong! He did the right thing~4-1/2 ft Moccasins aren't welcome in our shangri las :evil: First one we've ever seen the yard. Hopefully the last!
SnakeMocas_zps66b07de8.jpg

pragmatic said:
My teenage son called this morning and said he had to kill a snake. He told me he texted me the before pic, but could not wait for me to get back (i was in a meeting). I immediately thought he killed a "welcome" Rat Snake. Well..I was wrong! He did the right thing~4-1/2 ft Moccasins aren't welcome in our shangri las :evil: First one we've ever seen the yard. Hopefully the last!
SnakeMocas_zps66b07de8.jpg

We have snakes but they're under rocks at the pond. As long as they're not coming to the pool area, I'm fine to coexist.

titaniummd said:
We have snakes but they're under rocks at the pond. As long as they're not coming to the pool area, I'm fine to coexist.
I agree with that as well :goodjob: ...by the way our dogs occasionally bark at our neighbors fence near their shed (where my son found the snake), I'm guessing he has visited us a time or two before.
Taterfink said:
Good for him!
I thought so too :goodjob:

[attachment=0:12hk4e30]mms95picture.jpg[/attachment:12hk4e30]My husband pulled this out of our pool, then staged him and sent me the pic at work...........I think I screamed when I seen the pic..hahhaha

Attachments

• mms95picture.jpg
    mms95picture.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 326
When I saw your snake picture, the first thing I did was look to see where you are located. Ugh, too close to home! We have yet to find a snake near our pool but it will be a tough sell to get anyone in it again if we ever do! What a brave son you have! Mine would likely have run inside, screaming with arms flailing over his head! :shaking2:

DeeMac said:
My husband pulled this out of our pool, then staged him and sent me the pic at work...........I think I screamed when I seen the pic..hahhaha
hahaha..I love it! ..I'll have to try this on my wife with the rabbits we find.
TanyaK140 said:
When I saw your snake picture, the first thing I did was look to see where you are located. Ugh, too close to home! We have yet to find a snake near our pool but it will be a tough sell to get anyone in it again if we ever do! What a brave son you have! Mine would likely have run inside, screaming with arms flailing over his head! :shaking2:
The boy and I contemplated NOT telling Mom about it, but we thought we should all be aware, neighbors included. I think I'll tell her that I'll spread snake-proof dust (does not exist) around the perimeter to ease her nerves.
glitter&guns said:
Oh snap! I have pulled 5 snakes out of the pool so far this year, but none of them have been poisonous. I am really not excited about meeting one of those.
I know what you mean! My worst fear is meeting one of them as I'm putting my hand-in to empty the skimmer basket :shock:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
titaniummd said:
Blacksnakes actually kill off the poisonous ones. I don't mind them. I'll put them right back in my pond. No need for them at the pool. If I kill blacksnakes, then I'll have to worry about Copperheads.

Absolute fact, I have seen it with my own eyes, eating an Eastern Diamondback. Around here they are called King snakes or Coach Whips, and I have seen them in action. Mr No-Shoulders I like to have around!

We used to have a huge koi pond, more of a deep wading pool, and like most water, it attracted quite the selection of wildlife even in the city. I would gladly have lots of king snakes around to keep the not so nice snakes at bay.

But I'd have shoveled that thing straight to hades.

Dh and I have a deal. I kill snakes and wasps/bees for him, which is extra funny bc *I* am the one allergic to the stings! LOL He kills spiders for me and he puts his hand in any dark spaces that might harbor spiders.

My poor dh is not a fan of wildlife and everyone of our kids has inherited my ability to attract critters. We have several old reptile cages and aquariums so they can observe what they find for a few days. So far the only bad experience is when they took a picture of the "huge pretty cat" they saw in the woods by the creek on the way home. Um. No sweetie. That was a bobcat. Please don't entice it with your bologna sandwich ever again.

We had raccoons, possum, foxes, hawks and more some to the pond even though it was literally right against the house under my dining room windows. No fear at all. They'd look at us while fishing like, "ha! What YOU gonna do about?"

Over the years, the only poisonous thing was one lone rattlesnake. Which freaked me out bc in all my adult years here, I'd never encountered a rattle snake. I knew in theory they could be found here, but I'd not heard an actual claim in years.

crokett said:
Moccasins are scary snakes. Supposedly we have them here but I haven't seen one. We do have copperheads - I killed one yesterday. A copperhead will make you REALLY uncomfortable but probably won't kill you.
Exactly! We're very careful to identify and let the good one's carry-on. This was definitely a Moccasin!

Brushpup said:
Glad your son caught up with him before someone got hurt. Good on him, and good job son!
I think that one has been lurking just outside the fence for awhile. Our Lab had a strange curiosity at the section of fence closest to our neighbors shed. I'm sure it won't be the last as the temperatures rise.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.