Is the VRV installed correctly?

Aug 22, 2010
Hi All:

I am just about finished with my solar panel install. I will post final pics when im doing but I just wanted to make sure this VRV is installed correctly. How long does it take to drain the panels after I shut off? I noticed after a few minutes there was still water in the panels. Im not sure if they were draining or not. Is there a way to tell? After about 10-15 mins I took the black cap off and push down on the valve and water shot out. I assume it takes sometime to drain?

Sorry the pics is sideways!

Thanks!

Attachments

• VRV.JPG
    VRV.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 77
I am glad I saw your comment at the bottom, on first glance my first thought was it should be facing up.

Drain time varies, but should be within a minute or two of your pump being shut off. If your still getting pressure after 10-15 minutes then is your pump off or on low? do you have a check valve in the return line, are you using a plain or "solar" 3 way diverter valve?

Ike

Thanks for replying. The pump was on but the 3-way valve was positioned to bypass solar. I do have a check valve although I am not convinved that it is working properly. Its a brand new jandy valve installed correctly but I had to repair a leak on the return side a few feet in front of the check valve and after I cut open the pipe water seemed to continue to leak slowly for some time so im not so sure the check valve is working properly? Unless they are designed to leak a little?

Any way to test the VRV? I also have a few of the standard VRV that do in the headers. Should I try installing them to see if there is a difference?

Thanks

Ok so I turned off the pump and opened the 3 way valve and it drained. So it looks like I need to make sure the 3 way stays open a little so the supply side can drain.

Whats the best way? Drill a hole or just adjust the cam on the automatic control so it stays open a little?

If drilling a hole is best how big?
Thanks!

Are you using a solar valve? It should have a small check valve in the valve to allow for drainage. It does take a while though.

If you don't have a solar valve, then drill a 1/8th inch hole in the valve face.

An alternative to drilling a hole is to add a bridge with small pipe and a valve to limit flow between the supply and return side for the solar panels, here is a picture of how mine is set up with the panel drain valve. Pump room is behind the wall shown.

Ike
file.php

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.