Increased Filter Pressure and Air in the Pump Basket

rmt350

Jun 2, 2013
Alright here is the situation at my pool. I just purchased a new Super Pump Vs and had it professionally installed by the local pool guy. (I had to have him install it in order to get my power company rebate) When we first started the pump up for the first time had a great prime with no air bubbles and the pressure on the filter was about 15psi. It stayed like this for about 3 hours until I put in some D.E. in the filter. After about a half hour with the D.E. in the filter I noticed the flow at the jets was diminished, the pressure in the filter had jumped up to 27psi and there was air in the basket of my pump. My first response was to backwash. After the backwash the air left the basket and the pump was back to a normal pressure (roughly 18 psi). It stays like this for about 25 minutes and the whole process has to happen again. The local pool guy says I'm getting air from the suction side of the pump, which normally i would agree, but being that the pump worked fine until i put DE in the filter my gut says otherwise. Just out of curiosity I wanted to see if i got air in the basket if I bypassed the filter, so I put the filter on recirculate for an hour and everything did fine and there was no air bubbles in the basket. So now I'm concerned that my filter is shot and that I may have to purchase a new filter, or at least new filter element.

Has anyone had a similar problem or any insight as to what i can do to remedy this increased pressure and air in the basket?

Thanks, Ryan.

Running your DE filter without DE is not recommended. The material that captures the DE acts as a filter, and backwashing won't remove the particles that get caught. You may need to disassemble your filter for cleaning. Be sure to read the manufacturers instructions as it may need a two-step process.

How does your water look? The slightest debris in a pool can cause rapid clogging in a DE filter, especially if the grids are partially clogged from running it without DE or if caked DE isn't coming off during the backwash.

Thanks for the response. The water is a light green and I'm sure there is sediment floating around being that I cant see the bottom of the deep end. I will try cleaning out the filter element tonight. I was told to use a de-greaser to help open up the pours of the element, apparently Hayward makes one. But would a clogged element allow air to built up in the basket or is this a separate issue?

The water is a light green and I'm sure there is sediment floating around being that I cant see the bottom of the deep end. I will try cleaning out the filter element tonight.
The symptom is a clogged filter but the disease is pool water chemistry. I am virtually positive you need to shock your pool. Posting a complete set of test results will help us diagnose a lot better.

I added shock on Saturday and the pump has been running for two days straight now. The water was a nice shade of brown when I started...I will test and post the water levels tonight as well. Is there anything that I should be on the lookout for? Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.