using Diatomaceous Earth in a sand filter ?

samt

May 18, 2013
Long Island NY
So I have read about adding DE to a sand filter on this site and thinking about doing that to help speed of the process of filtering.

I have also read elsewhere that the DE will pass right through the sand and end up in the pool and you can never get it out. Is this true? Does it even matter?

I was going to buy some today but wanted to here what the experts had to say.

My pool as been running non stop for 2 days, its improving but at this rate it will take a week to get clear. Its that pollen from last week that really that messed it up.

Thanks

It is valuable in some situations (yours sounds like one of them) It should be used only to get the last remnants of debris from the pool and/or fine pollen.

It will not hurt your pool unless you TOTALLY overdose.

Using DE in your sand filter as we describe is just fine. It will only pass through the filter if the filter is broken or channeled (ie not working). If the DE does get in the pool you can simply fix the filter and then vacuum it up. That is a mild pain but not difficult. Make sure you read the directions in Pool School.

Although DE will filter down to 2-3 microns, the DE particles themselves are larger than that and can easily be seen with the naked eye. Under a microscope, the DE resembles a sponge with tiny little pores. The DE forms a partial layer on top of the sand. As the result, the DE will not pass through unless there is a physical malfunction with the filter itself (such as a broken lateral or similar issue) in which case some of the sand would also pass through.

I have first-hand experience using cellulose fiber in my sand filter on occasion and I have not experienced any "pass-through" issues using that.

Yes, 25 lbs is more than enough. Actually, if you can find a smaller quantity for a reasonable price, I would get that. The typical supplemental dosage of DE to a sand filter is about 1-2 cups.

Ok, So I got the DE, I read the how to use it in a sand filter. My question this time is... When I backwash does all the DE get removed? Which I assume what happens. And then I re add more DE?
And I continue this process until the water is clear?

Thanks again

Thanks Richard, now here is a nother question. So I know I have killed any organic material in the pool and I proved that by my CC is at .05 ppm this am. The pool has been vacuumed and brushed.

The particals in the pool I'm trying to get rid off with DE is from pollen. I just know that.

My gut feeling is to turn the pump off tonight and let the small pollen particals go to the bottom and then revacume in the am. I'm getting the feeling my sand filter is not doing the job and I am just stirring the pot. Does this sound like a good plan?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
samt said:
Thanks Richard, now here is a nother question. So I know I have killed any organic material in the pool and I proved that by my CC is at .05 ppm this am. The pool has been vacuumed and brushed.

The particals in the pool I'm trying to get rid off with DE is from pollen. I just know that.

My gut feeling is to turn the pump off tonight and let the small pollen particals go to the bottom and then revacume in the am. I'm getting the feeling my sand filter is not doing the job and I am just stirring the pot. Does this sound like a good plan?
Couldn't say. I've never had a pollen problem.

What i have found that helps with pollen is to buy a package of fine polyester hairnet and place it over the skimmer basket. Works well for me keeps it out of filter so you dont backwash as often

Reactions: colind772
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.