Hi all.
Just did my first post in the "Intro" section.

June 2nd 6pm. Overcast.
FC 10.5
CC .25
TC 10.75
PH 7.2
TA 60-70
CH- vinyl pool
CYA 20
Temp 64*F. ****Note have started using "Pucks" to raise CYA slowly.

When I opened May 18th(2wks ago), "Mesh Lop-Lok cover" usual black-green swamp.
Added 12% liquid chlorine up to 12ppm shock level. And kept there till OCLT and less than .5 CC. Pool was blue but could barely see deep end floor drain. Mistakenly let chlorine drop to maintenance level of 2-3ppm. Water tests were good with CYA a little low At 20-30. PH a little high at 7.8 Then after doing several searches here understood why maintain "Shock Level" till all 3 criteria met. (Including #3 Crystal clear water.) so return to "Shock Level". Slowly over last 4-5 days water clarity is improving daily.
1st ? As noted above current FC is 10.5 and PH is 7.2 and 1wk ago FC of 2.5 with a PH of 7.8. What could have cause the change. Is it possible several inch's of rain caused the PH drop?

2nd question. As per another website(B.P.'s)..upon opening, first raise PH to 7.8 ( I added 1 box 20 Mule Borax to get to PH 7.8'vs here (TFP) lower PH to 7.2 Which is correct ?
.......could the addition of Borax contributed to the hazy water over the last 1.5 wks. I didn't mix with water? Just opened box and added to skimmer.

Thanks Dave.

Grumpybear said:
Hi all.
Just did my first post in the "Intro" section.

June 2nd 6pm. Overcast.
FC 10.5
CC .25
TC 10.75
PH 7.2
TA 60-70
CH- vinyl pool
CYA 20
Temp 64*F. ****Note have started using "Pucks" to raise CYA slowly.

When I opened May 18th(2wks ago), "Mesh Lop-Lok cover" usual black-green swamp.
Added 12% liquid chlorine up to 12ppm shock level. And kept there till OCLT and less than .5 CC. Pool was blue but could barely see deep end floor drain. Mistakenly let chlorine drop to maintenance level of 2-3ppm. Water tests were good with CYA a little low At 20-30. PH a little high at 7.8 Then after doing several searches here understood why maintain "Shock Level" till all 3 criteria met. (Including #3 Crystal clear water.) so return to "Shock Level". Slowly over last 4-5 days water clarity is improving daily.
1st ? As noted above current FC is 10.5 and PH is 7.2 and 1wk ago FC of 2.5 with a PH of 7.8. What could have cause the change. Is it possible several inch's of rain caused the PH drop?
Pucks are acidic and will lower the pH

2nd question. As per another website(B.P.'s)..upon opening, first raise PH to 7.8 ( I added 1 box 20 Mule Borax to get to PH 7.8'vs here (TFP) lower PH to 7.2 Which is correct ?
Chlorine is more effective at lower pH.
.......could the addition of Borax contributed to the hazy water over the last 1.5 wks. I didn't mix with water? Just opened box and added to skimmer.
Maybe, but I doubt it.

While using the tabs, keep close eye on pH.

Thanks Dave.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.