Purchase additional options for TF-100 Test Kit?

Feb 15, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
I am just starting to tackle the pool in our new house. We got the pool cover replaced and had someone come out to shock the pool and it was looking good for a couple of weeks. I want to do the maintenance myself and figure that a test kit is a top priority. I am looking at the TF-100 and see that one online retailer (http://tftestkits.net/TFTestkits-TF-100-p4.html) offers some add-ons to the test kit. Are any of these necessary? We have a SWG (I believe... we have an ECOmatic ESC 36... that's considered an SWG, right?). As you can see, I am a beginner here.

I haven't tested the water in a few weeks now and I noticed that it is just a touch cloudy. Today I checked the ECOmatic and I see that one of the lights is red, so I believe it needs some adjusting. I am not sure how old it is, so it could need replacing, or maybe not. It might need salt? One of the add-ons to the test kit is a "salt test strip." Is this how one goes about testing the salt content of the water? If not, how do you test the salt content? Thanks in advance for your help.

The Speed stir is a nice option, well worth the money, I know since upgrading to mine I can't imagine going back to the old swirl by hand method, plus it makes you feel like a real Jr. Scientist at home as Richard is fond of saying :)

The rest are special needs options, the XL option is good to have if your starting off trying to clear up a swamp like algae bloom

Salt tests may be handy if you have an SWG, but these are often available locally (at least the strips), so not such a big issue, it seems most people depend on the low salt warning light on their SWG anyway and don't care about actual level numbers most of the time

And the borates test is only needed if you have choosen to add borates to your pool (I would guess around 10-20% of the people active around here at most add borates)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.