I need help clearing my pool

Jun 2, 2013
Southern Alabama
I have an in-ground salt water pool approx 19 x 45. 3 - 5.5 deep around 25,000 GAL. The first warm season I loved the pool and it was clear with mild cloudiness that cleared on it's own. This year I noticed there had been many leaves collect in the bottom of the pool which in-turn has caused algae and cloudy issues. I was able to get the pool clear, clearer than I had ever seen it, then I scooped leaves and it clouded up. Not the green-blue color but with a medium to dark blue color and can't see more than a couple of feet into the pool. I have given a good dose of chorine/bleach to shock it and am waiting to clear.

I just ordered the TF-100 test kit today so hopefully it will be here soon. I need some advice on how to get it clear again. And what it means to have the deeper blue color.

Thanks in advance,

Welcome to TFP! Step one is out of the way already with having the kit on the way. Not really much you can do until we have a full set of test results. Spend some time reading pool school and the "defeating algae" threads while you wait. We will help you, but there is a foundation of knowledge that has to be built first.

^^what Ski said

Also, you should confirm the pH test and if really below 7, add borax to raise pH up to the low to mid 7's asap.

While waiting for the test kit, can you take a sample to a pool store for testing?

Merc sof,

You are running three simultaneous threads with triplicate entries. No one can possibly help you get your pool cleared when you are posting identical post all over the forum. I have temporarily locked your other threads. Do not start another one. Keep all your posts under this thread.

Now, to ATTEMPT to help....

The test results from yesterday and then from today are IMPOSSIBLE to gain any meaning from. Let's try to sort them out one at a time.

pH - You have posted pH of 6.4 7.5 and 8.2. Are you doing something to adjust pH? If so, you need to tell us what you are doing. Please answer just that question for now.

EDIT - make that four simultaneous threads. I deleted the last one.

Sorry about the multiple threads. I will not do that again. I have not tried to adjust the PH. The first two readings are not accurate. The first Was a test strip, the second was my first use of the TF-100 and I probably made errors. The 8.2 reading is consistent.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Merc Sof said:
Sorry about the multiple threads. I will not do that again. I have not tried to adjust the PH. The first two readings are not accurate. The first Was a test strip, the second was my first use of the TF-100 and I probably made errors. The 8.2 reading is consistent.
Merc, don't test the pH until the FC is less than 10. It will read a false high. So your 7.5 from yesterday is probably correct.

The FC is 47, iow, you counted 94 drops?

Nice pool :cool:

Are you using bleach/liquid chlorine for the shock process?

There is no need to raise FC to 47. The shock level range is between 23 and 35 for normal shocking.

Follow the directions in Pool School and let us know if you have any questions.

When you have time, please test your fill water for pH, TA & CH. Post those test results back here.

Have you ever used an algaecide that contained copper?

Have you had the water tested for metals?

Just asking the last two ?'s because of your comments about water changing colors.

I had used the bleach/liquid chlorine to shock the pool and there was no significant changes in the cloudiness/color of the water. By fill water, you mean that I fill the pool with? I have used algaecide but I don't know if it had copper in it or not. I have not had the water tested for metals. How would I go about testing for metals?

:goodjob: Thanks for the compliment

Take it to the pool store and have them test for metals. Algaecides usually contain copper and if you use too much, it builds up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.