pool is full questions on chems & filter

May 24, 2013
Arizona
Intex 24x52 ultra frame we have the 2500 b size cartridge that came and the pentaire 1hp pump dynmo and the pentaire sand dollar filter. We live in az pool gets direct sunlight at 110 degree heat

Q. I dont have thru wall skimmer yet can we install the sand filter without whike finnd handyman to do that part. We can just put tbe cartridge in and pay someone to do all the other next wk just would like to do this once is pissible

Purchased pentaire from craigslist nice guy had it six mos its it great shape but was on its side ( filteer) since yestrday do we need to open it and clean anything? Any instructions helpful

Now that water is in and filter one or other hooked up in next hour what chemicals do i need to add right away leslies closed today will get better test kit tommorow only have hth start up kit withbstrips here are readings
Fc is o/o
Ph is 6.4
Ta is80
What should i addd tonight while we run the filter?
Should mention no auto skimmer right now please tell me what type of products r best i have one of those dispenser but ive read better with ultra frame not to use them is it best to just use bleach or get the liquid hth chlorine or the granulas u just throw in and do i need to add some shock for starters. Complete newbie first pool reading up on pool school but need to get started tonite

Since it appears that you just filled the pool with water, it has no CYA. Therefore, I would add an initial dose of between 1-3 ppm FC using liquid bleach as a preventive measure for tonight. Assuming your pool is 4 feet deep, one 121 oz bottle of 8.25% bleach will get your FC within this range.

Although the test strips are not as accurate as the tests in one of the recommended kits, it does appear that your pH is low. The pH should be between 7.2 and 7.8. The best way to raise pH is by adding Soda Ash (which should be available at any pool store).

When you are shopping for test kits, you need one that measures FC, CC, pH, CYA, TA, and CH. The CYA level will determine your ongoing maintenance FC range. Living in AZ, you will need to get around 50 ppm CYA in your pool to prevent rapid FC loss due to sunlight.

I see you have started reading Pool School :goodjob: Since you plan on getting a test kit tomorrow, I think your time tonight is best spent reading these articles at a minimum:
  • 1. ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry Will help you understand what you need to test for and how to adjust it.
    2. Chlorine CYA Chart Determines your maintenance and shock level FC which is based on the CYA level.
    3. Test Kit Comparison Shows the kits that can perform the needed tests. One of these should be available at Leslie's. If you don't mind waiting a few days, the TF-100 is the best value for the $ (http://tftestkits.net/Test-Kits-c4/)
    4. Pool Calculator Not an article, but a tool that will help you determine which chemical is needed to adjust a particular pool test result (FC, pH, CYA, etc.) and the appropriate dosage. Knowing how to use this tool will make managing your pool much easier.

Once you get your test kit, run a full series of tests, post the results, and we'll go from there.

Read all recommended readings that was very helpful going to bring water sample to leslies tommorow and get their test kit will post results tommorow.
Q. What can i do to cool water temp its normally 110-115 hete and pool is already at 80 degrees

One more thing about the test kit, don't let the Leslies people convince you that their deluxe kit or the Taylor K-2005 is the same as the suggested Taylor K-2006 (which they rarely stock), they are NOT, as they contain the color matching DPD chlorine test, not the drop counting FAS-DPD chlorine test found in the K-2006. Either way I personally would recommend the TF-100 over the Taylor K-2006 as it has more of the reagents you use the most, instead of matching size bottles, plus it helps support the owner of this fine web site.

Ike

p.s. also check what you have before you leave the store, many time people here report going to Leslies, ask for a Taylor K-2006 test kit and get home to find they were given a K-2005

figured i'd hijack instead of creating a whole new post...... my pool is almost totally full but i must go out of town for a few days...is the water good to just sit there for 48+ hours? it came straight from my well and is green/brownish.

nate81 said:
figured i'd hijack instead of creating a whole new post...... my pool is almost totally full but i must go out of town for a few days...is the water good to just sit there for 48+ hours? it came straight from my well and is green/brownish.

Nate, it's better to start your own thread as to not confuse the original poster as both of your pools are different . I would suggest to both of you to read pool school.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I will order the one u suggest that helps this site tell me how. I never wouldve gottenthis farvwithout u guys. Ran filter 8 hrs i know strups suck but its 6am here pool is crystal clear readings are perfect fot 130000 gallons
Fc 2/4
Ph 7.2
Ta 80 the pool school was great. Did notice one little thing where filter/pump connects to the lower hole its leaking a small amt around the threads..its good and tight and its just a drip dave said it said something about vaseline which he didnt have so he just skipped that step ...such a guy lol...could adding vaseline fix it. My boy is so excited to get in there its summer vac and hes racing around looking for bathing suit.
Any suggestions on how to get water temp down a bit its 6 am reading 90 its going to be 112 today how do i keep water a bit cooler do those fountains they sell wk? Or should i stock up on alot of ice

barbaradomanski said:
I will order the one u suggest that helps this site tell me how.
The TF-100 can be ordered at: http://tftestkits.net/Test-Kits-c4/

barbaradomanski said:
Any suggestions on how to get water temp down a bit its 6 am reading 90 its going to be 112 today how do i keep water a bit cooler do those fountains they sell wk? Or should i stock up on alot of ice
Aerating fountains are your best option. It will provide cooling through evaporation. You will likely need to top off your pool a bit more when using fountains because of the evaporation that provides the cooling effect, so don't think you have suddenly sprung a leak. Also, keep an eye on Calcium Hardness (CH). Water evaporates but calcium does not.

BTW, I would forget about the ice. You would literally need thousands of pounds of ice to make a noticeable difference in water temperature. Part of the reason for needing so much ice is that much of the ice is warmed when it is dumped into the water. That's why such a huge amount of ice is needed to cool a pool. Storing that amount of ice is impractical, not to mention the cost.

Lol i was really joking about the ice )- i ordered the kit u said test for calcium how do i do that also pool guy yestrday added acid whats that called so i can pu. He also hooked up my pentair dynamo and said the motor is siezed and brought it to his shop where the tech guys will look at it thing is it was working fine six days ago and it had been just sitting in box since it last worked he also thought it was a two speed som eone rewired for a one speed looked it up last night its only a one speed called store said open it look but do No repairs till u talk to me. If the tech guys yell me its a two speed rewired im taking it elsewhere. It could be according to pentaire the timer was set therefore motor wont turn on....or it wasnt grounded...or wires not Connected. About to find ou if this is a co ill use again or not. I didnt feel skilled enough to hook up the pentair dynamo and sand dollar filter. But if these guys turn out to be nit so great might have better luck using someone here to help me

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.