do I ever have to shock?

teppy

Nov 11, 2007
Louisiana
I was told at a pool store that everyone has to shock their pool about once a week in the summer. Is this true? I thought that I read somewhere that if you keep your water balanced that you do not have to do this. I have the TF-100 test kit and my chlorine is always good. I have never had any CC's. My free chlorine is always what my TC is. Now, according to test strips that I have purchased, my free chlroine is 0. I am relying on my TF-100 test kit though. My water stays crystal clear, so that works for me. I was really wondering if I need to have shock on hand.

If you sold chemicals to people who don't know what they're doing, wouldn't you suggest that they SHOCK every week?

"... and our SHOCK is ON SALE this week... you should stokc up before we run out..."

just got our pool last year, we didn't "shock" it until this spring when I let the sun sneek up on me and had a lil algae infestation... pretty sure that's the only time you need to "shock"... if you're diligent... maybe never.

I'm sure somebody more smarts than me will chime in.

The more I know, the more I might open a pool store...

as Back-Flip Wilson would say...SHOCK IT TO ME!! SHOCK IT TO ME, BABY !!!

teppy, I agree with them!

Most of us RARELY need to shock.

A great test kit, like the TF 100 that you have and water maintenance is all you need to avoid shocking!

5 minutes a day and beautiful water! :lol:

Look at all the $$$ saved by not being pool stored!

thanks for the replies! I was sure that I read that shocking may never be necessary as long as the water is maintained properly. I think I will open a pool store too. stephenbrla, I'm from baton rouge. I live in pointe coupee now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.