TINY BROWN BUGS ALL OVER MY POOL.

Jun 2, 2013
HI, my name is Trish. I am new the the page. My mother suggested this page to me. I need help !!!! I just finished setting my pool up on Fri. It was completly filled by Sat. morning. I let my kids get in for just a little while.They begged before i put chemicals in it to let them swim. So I did. I dont know it that is part of my problem. Then it started a heavy rain Sat. afternoon. So I made the kids get out. I left the pool alone for the rest of the day. I woke up this morning (Sunday) to check the pool and test the water to add chemicals. Their are tiny brown bugs ALL over the pool inside and out. In the water they look to be dead. Outside of the pool they are alive and crawling every where !!!!! I have googled and binged all day what they are and I am getting no where. I have read a few forums with some people having the same problem. No one really has given an answer to what they are. Sraying them off with water does no good. Some forums say to shocked the Crud out of the pool. Other suggest sraying the perimeter of the pool with bug spray.
I have an Intex above ground pool its 15 ft by 4ft. It holds 4,400 gallons of water. I put a sand base under it. I am not sure if that is part of the problem either. I Just need HELP on how to get rid of whatever these bugs are!!!!!!!!

They are very tiny. They look like sand grains.... But if you look close they are crawling. I havent seen any jump. I tried to upload a pic with my post but the pic was to big to upload.

I probably have the same thing, they are not a constant issue, but I don't see any correlation with weather and their presence as of yet. How are they an issue for you? I just ignore them, they don't cling to me when I get out of the pool or anything. No idea how to get rid of them.

They might be mites. And remember, lots of bugs come out when it rains because their little homes get flooded. Some mites live in the grass. They might have been in the sand.
You can spray mites - check the products at the store - and the area around the pool, but they will return from time to time. And, yes, it might also be a good idea to raise the chlorine level in the pool for a day or two to kill the littel buggers.

I'm wondering... could they be aphids? Aphids are tiny insects. They almost look like teensy tiny specs of rust crawling around. I've tried Googling for an image but the problem is that the photos are zoomed in so far that it doesn't look like what it looks to the human eye. Lady Bugs eat aphids so that would give you an idea of how small they are.

If you know how to get rid of them, I'm all ears. I've heard of people buying lady bugs to combat them but then you have a bunch of lady bugs all over the place.

I'm having the same issue. We just recently set up a saltwater pool and there are thousands of tiny little light brown bugs crawling all over the edge of the pool and they are congregating around the edge of the skimmer as well. I've been googling this morning, haven't quite found a decent picture of what I am describing. I may try and upload one here later. Would love to get to the bottom of this. I don't want these insects to grow into some kind of biting pest.

Grateful for this forum by the way. 1st time poster. :)

Brian in Statesville, NC
Intex Ultra Frame Pool 24 x 12 x 52 w/ Saltwater Sand filter system

Here's a link to a page on aphids: http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/IPM/english ... aphid.html

I've only seen the brown/rust colored ones. I was recently reading about them eating ash trees and then secrete a sticky substance. The leaves of my tree has this sticky substance all over them so I'm guessing that's what it is.

I've always had some of them around the pool area and attributed it to yucca plants. I've removed all yucca plants and that helped a lot. (If you've ever seen a yucca plant, you've probably seen aphids crawling on it.)

I went to my local farmers store like the Tractor Supply. They put them under a mircroscope to look at them. The owner said they were Thrips. He said to use Demon which is a bug spray. So I did I sprayed all around the pool. It did help some they are no where near as bad. The next option is too spray malathioin. And the issue with the bugs is they bite. It feels like you are getting eat up with misquiots. They die once in water . So I go out every morning to thousand of them dead. I think its to much for my pump. :/

Reactions: Beverly's
I have what sounds to be the same problem. My pool was beautiful until we had a massive storm yesterday and recvd about an inch of rain in 30 minutes. We needed to release water from the pool when I notices this clump of brown. Upon further inspection it was hundreds of thousands of tiny bugs. They float on top of the water but huddled together. It was like someone emptied a pencil sharpener in the pool. I scooped some out in a cup but the little buggers just hop off the water to the side of the cup. Leslies Pool Supply recommend netting them out but they just filtrate through so my rep said to use pantyhose to stretch around it; it worked. Now I will try spraying my yard as I do not know what they are. Good luck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yep... Sounds like everyone has Thrips. We get these after a hard rain, also. They appear to get washed out of our neighbor's tree (ugh). The easiest way to get rid of them is get a skimmer sock, put it on the skimmer basket (or, I use 1 and put it on the pump's filter basket). Then shut down the main drain for a while & let the surface skimmer suck them all down. The skimer sock/debris shield will catch them for you. Once you don't see them on the surface anymore, pull the debris shield out. I'll warn you.. it's pretty gross when you pull the debris sheild out!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.