Setting up Ultra Frame - Need answers fast!

Apr 8, 2013
Battle Creek, MI
I began the assembly of our new 18' Intex Ultra Frame today, the kind with the little loops outside the belt that the legs go through. How many people here with Intex experience who set up a new Ultra Frame like this wish they had the rope around the bottom of the legs, because this one doesn't have the rope, which I thought was fairly critical for keeping our old, blue Intex standing up straight.

Also, I have about 1-2" of water on the bottom and have stopped filling. Of all things, would you believe I have a pin hole in the bottom near the edge? I'm going to just patch it instead of raising a stink with Intex, which will probably tell me to just patch it anyway. The real problem is I have wrinkles. No, not on my face. On the bottom of the pool. I have tried grabbing the edge of the pool where the bottom meets the side walls, but I just can't seem to make a difference. I got inside the pool to see if I could smooth it out but that didn't do any good. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance. CLG

When we were setting up our Ultra frame 14 x 48 I climbed in and with about 1 inch of water was able to (on my hands and knees mind you) smooth out the wrinkles by pushing from the middle outwards. Took me about 15 minutes. not 100 % perfect but you wouldn't notice any wrinkles now.

allycooper said:
When we were setting up our Ultra frame 14 x 48 I climbed in and with about 1 inch of water was able to (on my hands and knees mind you) smooth out the wrinkles by pushing from the middle outwards. Took me about 15 minutes. not 100 % perfect but you wouldn't notice any wrinkles now.

Thanks for the responses, both of you. Did your Ultra Frame have the rope around the bottom of the legs?

We bought the 16' Ultra Frame last year that has the rope, so I can't help you there. To get out the wrinkles I climbed in with about an inch or so of water in and put my heels against the side wall and kind of jumped backwards against it to pull it out, if that makes any sense. We still have a few small wrinkles, but nothing we can't live with.

Also, when we first set ours up last year we had a pretty major leak on the bottom that we noticed right away, but couldn't find where it was coming from. Because of the amount of water, I suspected a seam. I called Intex and it took forever to get through, but in the end it was worth it. Since it was within 14 days of purchase they sent me a whole new liner without having to send anything back. The only problem was it was going to take almost a month to get to us. I was determined to find the leak, and after a few hours and dismantling the entire frame I finally found two slits in the bottom, each about 1" long. I patched them up, put the frame back together and started filling again and no more leaks! We set that same liner up this year and the patches are still holding, so now we have a spare liner for when the time comes to replace it! It may be worth a shot dealing with Intex support if you are still within that 14 day window.

Was in the pool on hands and knees smoothing out wrinkles when ours went up. Never thought about using a plunger. Might have made it easier. As for the rope around the bottom. Get yourself enough ratcheting tie down straps, 1" wide ones is what I uses, to go around the bottom and as it fills adjust the legs were they need to be and ratchet the straps evenly around the pool. Hold the legs in way better than trying to tighten up a rope.

wozzukes said:
We bought the 16' Ultra Frame last year that has the rope, so I can't help you there. To get out the wrinkles I climbed in with about an inch or so of water in and put my heels against the side wall and kind of jumped backwards against it to pull it out, if that makes any sense. We still have a few small wrinkles, but nothing we can't live with.

Also, when we first set ours up last year we had a pretty major leak on the bottom that we noticed right away, but couldn't find where it was coming from. Because of the amount of water, I suspected a seam. I called Intex and it took forever to get through, but in the end it was worth it. Since it was within 14 days of purchase they sent me a whole new liner without having to send anything back. The only problem was it was going to take almost a month to get to us. I was determined to find the leak, and after a few hours and dismantling the entire frame I finally found two slits in the bottom, each about 1" long. I patched them up, put the frame back together and started filling again and no more leaks! We set that same liner up this year and the patches are still holding, so now we have a spare liner for when the time comes to replace it! It may be worth a shot dealing with Intex support if you are still within that 14 day window.

I did get in the pool this morning and patched the pin hole. Fortunately (or unfortunately) I did have some experience patching our old Intex, so it wasn't a problem. And we bought this thing several weeks ago and it sat around waiting for construction, so I'd assume that might be a bone of contention with Intex. I'm just chalking it up to experience for now. What did Tom Hanks say? "That must be our one glitch for the mission"?!

Boy, was it cold! It got down to around 45 degrees here last night and blue in the face after trying to get some wrinkles out. Had to jump in a nice steamy shower afterward. I didn't get as many wrinkles as I wanted to. I'm hoping more will iron themselves out as the pool fills. (wishful thinking)

I do have four of the ratcheting straps on hand if I think the legs are in jeopardy of getting out of control. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks again.

IF the plunger doesn't work for you, I would think you may have to wait until it warms up a bit for that liner to be more flexible. 45 is awfully cool. Either way, sometimes it just takes alot of time to work all the bad spots out of the liner. Last year it took forever for me too, but this year it was a snap....don't ask me why.....prep and installation were exactly the same.

Oh, and I threw the rope out and used the 1 inch tie downs around the bottom. That way you can put the pressure on if you want to. If feel very secure with the tie-downs installed.

Bob E.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is the rope necesary have the 22x52 and havent noticed legs moving live in az our ground its like rock hard almost concrete hard is the rope only necesary if ground is soft or do u think good idea to do it regardless. We laid pool out when its was 110 for like four hours was soft and verypliable then did thev hands and knees thing but again ground so hard we were able to get all wrinkels out.

I'm about 2/3rds and have been watching the legs closely. Haven't seen much movement yet and the belt is still not tight. We'll see if I need the strapping.

As for the wrinkles, I didn't do a very good job. I couldn't figure out how the plunger should help and I didn't bother looking on YouTube. Probably not a good sign if I want to leave the pool up for the winter. Hopefully that won't affect the life of the liner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.