Losing almost all chlorine during the day

May 26, 2013
I read through the Pool School several times. I followed the all the procedures there for shocking and testing, etc.
I got in the pool with a toothbrush and scrubbed all the little nooks and crannies that the pool brush couldn't get to. After about a week, I finally got my green swamp to turn back into the lovely blue oasis that it was. Yay!!!
I did the OCLT before I stopped shocking to make sure I had gotten everything. I'm not losing chlorine overnight, but by the middle of the day, the levels drop to 1.
I live in Phoenix, AZ and the pool gets direct sunlight pretty much all day long. Is the sun eating up all my chlorine? Should I be adding it twice a day instead of only once in the evening? Or do I need to take it back up to shock levels again?

Last nights tests (11:30pm):
FC 5
CC .5
pH 7.2
CYA 30
TA 110

This morning (8am):
FC 4
CC 0
pH 7.2

This afternoon (2pm):
FC 1
CC 0
pH 7.2

Nobody has used the pool today. I added 1/2 gallon 10% bleach to bring levels back up to 5.
Am I missing something?
I'm really starting to wonder how the pool guy got away with only coming once a week.

You did the right thing. As the other have said, bring your CYA to 60. It's good that you know you should not be loosing any to something in the water because your minimum target is going to go up. It just takes more chlorine to get rid of stuff with a higher CYA. Mine sees southeast Texas sun from rise to set. Think it was in the mid 90's today so I have to keep a higher level also. Your doing good if you can get it to 1.5 - 2ppm a day.

Today's test results:
FC 2
CC 0
pH 7.5
TA 90
CH 650
CYA 50

Pool looks good, but my husband threw the puck floater back in the pool with cal-hypo tabs in it (he didn't realize that I wasn't using them anymore) while I still have a sock filled with stabilizer/conditioner floating. I took the floater back out. The sock is still 3/4 full, but I don't think I should leave it in anymore, either. I don't want to drive the CYA too high. What do I do with the stuff still in the sock? Throw it away? Let it dry out and store it? I don't want to poison anything or create a biohazard.

jblizzle said:
Are the tablets cal-hypo or trichlor? Cal-hypo does not add CYA.

They were cal-hypo. For some reason that seems to be the most common here. Though I don't know why with the water being as hard as it is here.
It makes me feel better knowing there's no CYA in those.
I'll leave the sock in there until CYA test reads 60, then.
If there's still stuff in the sock, what should I do with it?

This is not the right process. Did you not add the weight of stabilizer required to get the desired CYA rise? It takes up to a week for it to show up on the test. If you wait for 60ppm to show on the test and then remove the "extra" stabilizer, you will have likely already overshot the target.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay. My main concern was that the cal-hypo tabs would throw off my test results by adding in stuff that I hadn't accounted for.
I think I've gotten a little paranoid about the pool since I fought with the balancing act for so long before I found this place.
I also told hubby to keep his dirty little mitts off of the pool chemicals.
Too many cooks and all that..... :lol:

I live in az too...took great advice and invested in the 70.00 pool test kit the site endorses awaiting its arrival, from what ive read on pool school and the great guys here because we live in az with 115 direct sun its a tough balancing act to keep the fc right. Was told regular kits wont give me all the readings for the pool calculator. But so far im skating by until kit arrives but im using the bbb method with clorox at 8.5% , borax and baking soda, when guy was here for my motor he tested said i was doing good but needed acid...he added it but negleted to tell me what the name of this acid was...does anyone know if not ill wait till my kit comes from duraleigh post those numbers and then im sufe ill get whats missing from someone here. Loving the bbb though no stinging eyes like in my previous inground..which used the big tablets in the floating thing...if anyone knows what type of acid is used great i dont know if theres more then one type. But i didvlearn that those pool stores will not always tell u the others ways they want to "sell" and the bbb is less expensive and so effective. Thank god for pool school

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.