I've got blisters on my fingers!!!

brakes

LifeTime Supporter
May 24, 2008
Last year upon opening the pool, the plaster felt wonderfully smooth, except in the spa, it began to feel jagged. There was also an issue with the coping (pool is in third season) and so upon returning to the scene, they ?fixed? (builder rant insert here). They never addressed the roughness in the Spa. We had brushed it, though how well is debatable. Round Hold, square brush.
So this year upon opening, it was worse. I believe after gathering some info is that its the calcium scale build up. Warm/Hot Spa that doesnt always get recirculated to the main body often enough so my unproffesional opinion is the chemistry in the water is perfect for that type of effect.
I bought pumice block, seems to work somewhat without the draining of water, works even better with light film of water, more of like a wet sanding than total immersion. I dare not to hit it dry. However its really not coming off to my satisfaction. Im wearing out pumice block at a quick rate. One tip, get rubber gloves, between the feeling of the plaster for smoothness and the pumice block I ended up with bloody finger tips.
My next attempt is to mix up a light mixture of Muriatic Acid and use that in conjuction with the the pumice block to perhaps loosen the scale even more so. My concern is with the finish of the pool. I have been putting a bit of elbow grease in to get the stubborn build up off. I dont see white of blue specks in the pumice dust left behind from the sanding. Infact its a bit difficult to see the scale from the white portion of the finish, and the blue is less faint cause of the scale, but its a fine line and the best way i can tell is by feel. I have gotten some good results on the seated areas probably cause its flat and the block conforms to it, and it was probably the most brushed part of the spa when the plaster was curing.

My question is, what % of mix of 34.5 and water should i go at it with first?

I've ordered the TFtestkit, here is the numbers of my last water sample from the commercial place, went by there this morning and the parking lot was overflowing and after hearing they have resorted to using the restaurant pager routine, I am so happy to have found this place

Thanks
Evan

5/21/08
Free Chlorine 8.7
Total Chlorine 8.7
PH 8.2
Total Alkalinity 80
CYA 30
Total Disolved 2400
Total Hardness 150
Nitrate 20
* they had me add the following
4lbs of stabilizer
!gal 34.5% Muriatic
25lbs of Calcium (over 5 days though i havent completed that as of yet)

Scaling happens when the PH gets too high. You should always keep the PH between 7.2 and 7.8 if you possibly can.

PH can rise rapidly in a spa because of the aeration from the spa jets. You can limit this somewhat by lowering your TA level, which the acid you have already added should get started on.

The advice you quote looks fairly good.

I would try starting with ten parts of water and one part of acid and get a feel for working with the acid. When you feel comfortable with it you can move the concentration up to 6 to 1 and then 4 to 1. Higher concentrations will work more quickly but require that you pay more attention not to put too much in one place.

No P in my ool said:
I've got blisters on my fingers!!! John Lennon fan?

sure, plus it fit the post i suppose, more so than "Imagine theres no scale.."
I see in your sig you have a fafco heater also, how old is yours? any issues? Ive been toying with the idea of going with a solar control ball valve. I miss turning on and off sometimes and as you probably know, not only is the solar great for heating but it will cool the pool down even faster.

brakes said:
I miss turning on and off sometimes and as you probably know, not only is the solar great for heating but it will cool the pool down even faster.

Can you clarify what you mean by this?

I THINK you mean that if you run your solar heating at a time when the solar panels are not in the sun, they cool your pool off? Is that what you mean by that?

We live in Baton Rouge and its common in August to "close" the pool b/c its like swimming in warm spit. Ugh. Fountains really help that but with high humidity sometimes even that is not enough.

I dont personally have a pool but have friends and family and neighbors with them (and soon enough I will have one too, saving like a demon) and I have often wanted to experiment with different ways to cool the pool off.

For a blast one year we had a couple of truckloads of ice brought in and we kept the pool cool that way... it was funny shovelling ice into the pool every hour or so to bring it down. Its a heck of a thermal mass.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.