Question on piping a heater

NullQwerty

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 23, 2008
I'm piping in the water pipes for my Hayward natural gas heater. The diagrams in the installation manual show the inlet and outlet pipes coming out the side of the heater and doing a 90 degree turn downwards. But, it never actually says that it's necessary for them to point downwards. Is there any reason why I can't have them come out the side of the heater and do a 90 degree turn upwards instead? I wasn't sure if they have it going downwards to prevent water from reentering the heater after the pump was shutoff?

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

Mine comes straight out (same heater) so I don't think it matters. Also unless you have a vacuum release valve somewhere in the plumbing, when the pump shuts off water will not flow and remains in the heater at all times.

It doesn't matter if it does a loop do lou as it comes out of the heater. If you have an inline chlorinator that you put tabs in, make sure you put a check valve on the line returning to the pool. This will prevent the chlorinator from back feeding into the heater.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.