HELP: Fiberglass stairs/buddy seat yellowing after shocking

May 19, 2013
South Central PA
I'm in the middle of shocking my pool for the first time. Prior to this (2 years), the stairs and buddy seat were white - except for some graying at/above the water line. I am pretty sure the recommendation when adding bleach was to slowly pour it in front of the return jets - so it would get circulated. As opposed to slowly pouring directly into one of the skimmers - because this could somehow damage pool equipment.

I am dearly hoping that I did not damage my fiberglass stairs and buddy seat by shocking the pool by directly adding the correct amount of 8.25% bleach based on TF-100 results and the Pool Calculator. BTW: the water has been crystal clear, and the shock process is showing good progress - hopefully done in a day or two - verified by testing with the TF-100, so the chemicals are all where they should be.

Looking for any advice on what has happened and (hopefully) how to correct it and have it not happen again.

Thanks!

Re: HELP: Fiberglass stairs/buddy seat yellowing after shock

Normally when you get staining after adding chlorine it's because of metals in the water. Do you know if you have metals? If it's metals you can take a vitamin C tablet and rub it on the stains and it will lighten them.

I don't know if I have metals in the water or not. How should I check? I used to have a pool frog, and it had a mineral reservior, but not sure what minerals were in that. I had been running that when the pool was initially opened, but have since removed the entire thing, so it's only a passthrough now.

outta curiosity, any reason why only the fiberglass is discolored slightly, whereas the vinyl liner is clean and clear? Also, any particular brand/size of vit c tablet to use? thx again

The fiberglas is a lot easier to stain than vinyl is. Any hard plastics will stain before the soft vinyl will.

The pool frog adds metals to the water. Copper and silver. What you describe sounds like iron though.

The cheapest tablets you can find. Brand doesn't matter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.