Seacoast, NH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I just picked up an 8mm blue solar cover. Have always bought clear, thicker ones before. But since we have a bad habit of not storing correctly over the winter, they die. This one was cheap.

Will 8mm do the job of retaining heat over night or should I return it.

As you have found out, solar covers usually do not last long, with proper storage, many people still only get a couple of years out of them.

The 8 mil will work fine since the most significant advantage of a solar cover is to reduce cooling due to evaporation at night.

My first cover was 8mil and I let it sit in the sun during its 2nd season. After mid summer in the sun using it resulted in all the bubbles breaking off just from putting it in the water.

I'm currently on my 2nd cover (12mil) but I've been keeping it out of the sun when it's not on the pool. I'm expecting a 3rd season from the current one, mainly because I've taken better care of it.

I don't seem to notice a huge difference between 8 and 12mil. I've cut it in half to make handling easier, but would do that with any thickness. Unless I had an IG pool and used a reel.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.