In ground pool with little pressure

Jun 2, 2013
Hey everyone,

We have an in ground pool that we usually have professionals come open and close. This year we tried to open it ourselves, at first all was going well (water was clear). Then after we put together the pump/filter noticed there was very little pressure going out the valves in the pool. My brother replaced the air pressure gage thinking that would fix it, but it is still not working. We have the two valved in the pool, one is extremely weak and the other really does not seem to be working at all. We tried to backwash it, but it still won't work.

Any advice?

Thanks

Welcome to tfp, stephisme :wave:

What kind of filter do you have?

What pressure is you gauge reading?

What pressure does your gauge read when the pump is off?

What pressure does your gauge read when the filter is clean?

Do you have air showing up in the pump lid?

Often low flow is a sign the filter needs cleaning.

Another common causes are low water level or a stuck skimmer weir door, allowing air to be sucked into the system.

Still another common cause is a suction side leak...often the pump lid gasket is damaged or needs lubrication to seal this leak, or the pump drain plugs are not sealed.

Thank you so much for the reply.

My brother is going to check what the pressure numbers are now. He said it get's good flow in backwash, but bad flow in filter or recirculate.

He said there is no air and that the filter appears to be clean. What does he look for on it?

We were a bit worried because we were hit pretty hard from hurricane Sandy this year that perhaps it damaged something.

Thank you again and I will update the numbers when he finds out.

I got some more information. There are no visible air leaks or bubbles in pump strainer. No air comes from the air relief valve in the filter. The pressure shows 25psi. If he completely removes the filter element and removes the pump it still has 25psi. If it is off at has 0.

Oh and it's a hayward DE filter for a 22,000 gallon in ground pool.

I wonder if you have a valve(s) closed that needs to be open?

stephisme said:
If he completely removes the filter element and removes the pump it still has 25psi.
I don't quite understand this comment.

Maybe a picture or two of the pump area including the valves you have would be helpful.

What was the filter pressure last year (if you have it)?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.