Help dont know what to do

Jun 2, 2013
I have a 24' above ground pool with salt water. I took a sample to the pool place to get started this year. Spent $80 on supplies and followed the directions and there is no change in the pool. My chlorine generater shows 2900 ppm. I test the water with strips and everything shows ok but the free chlorine shows low. Water is clowdy and hasnt changed at all with what they said do. Im lost.

Welcome to TFP!

You need a good test kit. Either a TF-100 or a Taylor K-2006 from tftestkits.net will do you best. Once you get the kit, test the water and post results for us to see. We will get you squared away. We just need numbers that we can depend on. Meanwhile, please read Pool School to learn about pool water chemistry. :goodjob:

Welcome to tfp, afdcaptain :wave:

afdcaptain said:
I test the water with strips and everything shows ok but the free chlorine shows low.
The strips are pretty inaccurate and are often misleading. Do you have a drop based chlorine test? Maybe you have the OTO chlorine test that is attached side by side to a ph test? See if that shows anything.

With that said, cloudy water is usually a sign of algae so most likely you need to do the shocking process. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/shocking_your_pool.

What did the pool store have you add? Do you have the pool store test results?

Pool school (link near upper right of each page) has a ton of great information that will help you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.