Seriously green hair. Come on

Mar 19, 2013
South Windsor ,CT
Uggggg green hair,
New pool to me numbers are all good tf100 supported
First long swim 3-4 hours of the season and my daughters hair has green it it
I have never used anything but liquid bleach/shock could it be from previous owners algicied ?
21000 gal vinyl sand filter, if I dump 2 containers of jacks magics blue stuff 64 oz that should take care of it? Do I need to back wash run filter 24/7 or anything outa the norm? Had pool store test 4 metals none came back they didn't even try to sell me anything told me all numbers were good . I was ready 4 the sales pick but non given

Nexxus Aloe Rid shampoo. Look for it at Walmart.

Is there a Nature 2, Pool Frog, Aqua Smarte or something like that in the filtration system? Copper causes green hair and is introduced to the pool via those systems and/or the use of copper based algaecide.

Sequesterants only keep metals "in solution" and keep them from staining your pool - it doesn't really remove metals and the use is ongoing as the sequesterants break down over time and you need to add more.

The only way to lower copper levels is water replacement. Green hair after 3-4 hours is copper in the water regardless of what their test says.

FPM beat me but here are my comments...

Pdouble said:
I have never used anything but liquid bleach/shock could it be from previous owners algicied ?
Possibly, other sources I can think of could be "mineral systems", or some combination of copper piping and/or an old copper heater and low ph at some point.

I think the Jack's magic blue stuff may help, but you will have to continue to do maintenance doses on a regular basis since it likely will not remove it from you pool.

You may want to get another pool store to test for copper, now that you know you have it. This is a case where you may just want to do a partial drain/refill to reduce it, but you need to know the level to know how much to reduce it. You could also buy copper test kit.

Pdouble said:
Would I have to drain and refill multiple times due to the fact that you can't drain to less than 2ft in sallow end? My low end is only 3 ft deep 8ft long then slopes 14ft to 8ft deep 8 ft long end

Most likely.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.