k-2006 no spoon for reactant powder - Found it NM

Re: k-2006 no spoon for reactant powder

Take a plastic straw like a drinking straw, cut it short, and cut one end at a 45 degree angle. Then you can use it to scoop.

The spoon is tiny and the amount needed is not precise. You want enough to turn it bright pink. Using too much is not a big deal but is a huge waste of that powder. The spoon that comes with it is way less than 1/8 tsp, it appears to me. For a household substitute, I'd think you could use a butter knife and lift out less than a pea-size mound (like 1/2 a pea) and put it in the water. If it does not turn pink, you don't have enough but can't be far off. TFTest Kits (you can find links to that throughout this forum buy I haven't mastered posting links) sells the spoon individually so perhaps you should contact them. In fact, I might even have an extra so if you don't figure something out pm me your address and I can put one in the mail - not a big deal for me to be left with just one.

Mag posted while I was checking to be sure I have a spoon. The straw idea is a good one, and you can experiment a bit with the amount to get it pink, but not use more than needed.

I would call it more line 1/4 or 1/8 pea, it really is a small amount, a drinking straw might work, but make it a small one, not one of those jumbo sized ones like you get at Mc Donalds.

If it does not turn pink, you don't have enough but can't be far off.
Not necessarily. The most common problem by far for the solution not to turn pink is the fact there is NO chlorine.

Folks often think the test is no good but you have to have chlorine in your pool FIRST before the solution will turn to pink.

duraleigh said:
If it does not turn pink, you don't have enough but can't be far off.
Not necessarily. The most common problem by far for the solution not to turn pink is the fact there is NO chlorine.

Folks often think the test is no good but you have to have chlorine in your pool FIRST before the solution will turn to pink.

Not turning pink is uncommon and usually the reason for it is exactly what duraleigh has mentioned. However, if you know in your heart of hearts that you have FC in there and it isn't turning pink, a quick OTO chlorine test will confirm things. Although you won't know whether you have FC or CC with the OTO test, it is 100% reliable in letting you know that you either do or don't have chlorine in the water.

Re: k-2006 no spoon for reactant powder - FOUND IT, nm

Thanks for the very quick replies, used the tip of a plastic knife and watched a you tube video by doublewide6.

After I ran all 5 tests I went thru the kit and found it, it was laying on it's side between bottles (same color as kit so blended right in)
Guess I just assumed it would be in the little spoon holder.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.