Cant find manual air relief valve on my Heyward S244t. Help!

gdog2004

Jul 19, 2011
Lehigh Valley, PA
Hi guys. I seem to have a small leak in my pump/filter system.
I've read the manual for the S244T & it says be sure to open the manual air relief valve, but i can't find it. I have a hayward pro series s244t sand filter.
Can someone assist ?

Re: Cant find manual air relief valve on my Heyward S244t. H

gdog2004 said:
Hi guys. I seem to have a small leak in my pump/filter system.
I've read the manual for the S244T & it says be sure to open the manual air relief valve, but i can't find it. I have a hayward pro series s244t sand filter.
Can someone assist ?
Okay, I looked at the manual online and sure enough, it says open the relief.

Except they don't show such a thing on the parts diagram. It appears all those warnings are just "boilerplate" copied and pasted in every one of their manuals. Your filter is a top discharge, so any water in there will naturally rise to the exit. You don't even need an air relief.

Hi Richard. I *think* I may have found it. When I unscrew the pressure gauge some air (and very quickly after that WATER! ) began shooting out. I believe this may have been my air leak.
Maybe. Time will tell.

gdog2004 said:
Hi Richard. I *think* I may have found it. When I unscrew the pressure gauge some air (and very quickly after that WATER! ) began shooting out. I believe this may have been my air leak.
Maybe. Time will tell.
Sadly, it probably won't be. The gauge is on the pressure side of the pump. Air will not sneak in against several pounds of pressure.

What exactly is the problem?

Richard320 said:
gdog2004 said:
Maybe. Time will tell.
Sadly, it probably won't be. The gauge is on the pressure side of the pump. Air will not sneak in against several pounds of pressure.

What exactly is the problem?
You are correct sir ! That is NOT the problem. The basket on my pump doesn't stay filled with water . It seems to go away within an hour so there is a slow air leak, somewhere. My skimmer basket cracked and I have it jammed into the skimmer as opposed to sitting on top. Maybe that's the issue. I am going to get a replacement today.

Hate to hijack a thread, but I too have S244T, my pump startup procedure of course says to open the manual air relief valve. I understand there is none, so when starting up the pump what position should the multi-selector be in to not cause an explosion as their legal department has made them put in the manual.

ssgumby said:
Hate to hijack a thread, but I too have S244T, my pump startup procedure of course says to open the manual air relief valve. I understand there is none, so when starting up the pump what position should the multi-selector be in to not cause an explosion as their legal department has made them put in the manual.
I think everyone just leaves them on Filter unless they're vacuuming to waste or backwashing.

ssgumby said:

SAME exact situation. Anyone got a real solution (startup procedure)? I've got everything piped, I just don't want the filter cap to end up in the neighbor's yard. I'm worried I don't have the right sequence since there's no air relief valve like every instruction seems to indicate.

Thanks,

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

The air escapes out the plumbing in top of the filter. Just make sure the valves are open, the multiport is on filter, and go.

We just moved into our 1959 home and are reluctant pool owners. We got the pump replaced (Pentair) and all the instructions I have found says to open the air valve, fill up the pump basket with water, put cap on and turn on. As pointed out, there is no air relief valve, and my pump only fills up to near the top of the basket, then drains out somewhere. When I turn on the pump, it quickly fills up and eventually there is no more air in the pump, but I'm afraid of damaging something - or blowing my face off. Not gonna lie - I brace myself each time I turn it on.

So when you say "just make sure the valves are open", which valves are you referring to? I keep the pipes marked Skimmer and Main Drain open - should I be closing them when filling up the water in the pump? Oh. Help.

The return valves I think Richard meant.

I too have the S244T and there is no relief valve, but it's never been a cause for concern.

I'd advise not to do it by removing the filter pressure gauge while the pump is running.

Thank you for confirming that there is no relief valve. My reason for looking for it was because of the bubbles coming out of my returns, but I did some troubleshooting and it was due to my water being 3/4" too low. :) All is well, though I still brace myself when I flip that switch.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.