For those with heat pumps for their pools....

We set the temperature and leave it. But, if I know that no one will be in the pool for a day or two I turn it off. Sometimes, I just turn down the temperature to a lower number. But, for the most part it just comes on when the filter comes on and goes off when the timer shuts the filter off. It takes a little while to heat the pool but not as long as I had thought it would. We really like ours and found it did a good job for us. We are in New Jersey.

What about shutting the heat pump off at night. Sure it takes more run time the next morning to bring he pool up to speed, but with cooler temps at night the heat pump is working harder. Anyone have any experience with this?

I'll try both methods once we get ours installed and report back.

{EDIT} Now that I think about it, I don't want to run my pump 24/7 so I'm not really interested in leaving the heat pump "ON" all night. I may not try that experiment.

So to follow this thread and forum. From what I've read, you really don't need to run your pumps 12 hours a day to get sparkly water, basically whatever it takes.

HOWEVER, with a heat pump in order to optimize, it sounds like I should run my pumps in the HEAT of the day, say 11 AM - 7 PM or something like that...and then I assume LOW SPEED (if we have 2 speed pumps) will work just fine.

Then I assume I should run for about 60 minutes when I inject chemicals (which I plan to do after sunset) each night.

Is this logical thinking ?

Yes, that sounds reasonable. Depending on your situation you might well be able to shorten the runtime on the pump. Also, there is a very small chance the heat pump won't be happy with low speed, but if so it will be obvious (it won't run).

Did a bit of research, seems my PB is on it.

My ideal range of GPM on HP is 30-55 GPM
My pump on LOW flows at 55 GPM

So I have to assume I have a bit of loss between the filter and HP, so I gotta believe I am in that range.

HOWEVER if someone smarter knows how to really calc this, I would be interesting in providing more info.

Ok follow up question - is there any logic in the thinking that at low speed more heat will be transferred to the water or at least the same amount. Meaning do I really need to run on HIGH SPEED all day to heat effectively or can I run on LOW SPEED and expect similar results. OH and by the way, my HP does run on both low and high speeds...although I still think it needs some adjusting as once in a while on low I get a LOW FLOW warning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.