General 2-speed wiring questions

Jun 27, 2011
Hi, I have a 27' round with a 1.5 HP pump and am considering downsizing to a 1 HP pump, and I like the idea of a 2-speed.

I have been looking at the Pentair OptiFlo 1 HP dual speed, model #340071.

I notice that it comes with a twist-lock plug, which is what I currently have with my 1.5 HP single-speed.

Now, never having actually seen one of these pumps, I have been told that I'd need a timer such as the T106 to control the speeds. I'm not really understanding the control of speeds, though. I currently have a basic SPST timer to control on/off, which is in my basement and I have a standard 14/2 run from the timer out to my twist-lock outlet by the pool.

So I'm confused as to how the T106 would control speeds to this pump. It looks like there are 3 wires that would come out of the T106, according to this diagram: http://www.poolplaza.com/2-speed-timer-wiring.shtml But the new pump has a twist-lock plug? :?

Well, I am kind of guessing, but if it actually comes with a twist lock plug, there may already be a manual speed switch on the motor :?:

You do not HAVE to have a separate timer to control the speeds, you can just use a toggle switch to change speeds when you need to ... like just for vacuuming or backwashing.

If you want to use a timer to control the speed, you would likely have to remove the cord/plug and hardwire in the motor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.