I tried to do it without asking for help!!

branchop

LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2008
North Carolina
Thank you so much for all the help you have given me so far. I am 90% of the way there, and I am losing hope.

I have pictures but can't find the USB cord - so as soon as I find it I will upload them.

Here are the readings as of this morning (using Aquachem 6 way kit from Walmart):

CL 1.5
PH 7.6
TA 140
CYA 50 (this was from last week - but since I have only been adding bleach I don't think it would have changed)

My pool is blue - like hurt the eyes it is so blue. It was swamp green. Emphasis on swamp. It was left uncovered with a broken pump all winter. So for the past ten days I have been using the BBB method. The green went away within 3-4 days.

However, it is not clear. Not at all. We can see the shadow of the third step in the shallow end - but that is all. We like to pretend we see shadows that may be the bottom, but then the cloud moves and we realize our mistake. It has been like this for a week. We vaccuum and brush every night. Initially we were vaccuuming to waste, and backwashing three times a day. Now we are backwashing once a day, normally in the mornings. At first we were seeing improvement daily, now not really at all.

I told my husband we should have POP - but since he has owned a pool his whole life, and me just seven years, he thinks he knows more. I've tried to get him to read you guys and he hasn't. Now he is mentioning clarifiers and flocculents.

My dogs ate my test kit this morning (seriously- it's been a heck of a Saturday). I came out to get all the readings, and I found everything but the CYA cylinder. Lets just say I was NOT thrilled, however, they are now they are so well behaved :). I will order the nice one next month, but now I have to run to get another cheapo.

So do I break down and get a clarifier/flocc? Do I wait another week? Do I say nevermind - just swim in our beautiful opaque pool?

Your chlorine level is far too low to finish off the algae in the pool. You need to bring it up, and KEEP it up, testing a few times per day, until the level isn't dropping. Then you can allow the chlorine level to drop to maintenance levels.

20 ppm is usually the magic number to shoot for, but I'm not certain since you have a vinyl liner. Too much chlorine can damage the vinyl, so wait for someone to chime in with the correct vinyl dose...

Ok -I'll add more. Last week I kept it up all week. It didn't drop for about 4 days. Only in the last day or two have I let it go down, feeling pretty confident all the algae was dead. Even when we vaccuum the water is light blue not deep blue. Not a tinge of green anywhere.

Thanks for the advice :)

HarryH3's advice is on the money. 20-25ppm is where your FC needs to be and you need to keep it there until your pool is sparkling.

You and DH need to get on the same page. Two methods of pool care won't work. The money spent on flocs/clarifiers may or may not clear your pool....I know chlorine will.

Run your pump 24/7

branchop...with the cya of 50 you need to run the free CL at 3-6 ppm this is probably why you cant quit get it clear.I would probably shoot for 6 in the evening.

I would drop my ph to 7.2 because it is going to raise quickly with the TA of 140 start reading the stickies on drooping the TA you will want to do this after you get control of the pool.

you still have algy so you will have to get the CL up to 20 ppm till it will hold over night. Run the pump 24-7 and brush the walls to help it along. Watch the press gage and if it reaches 8-10 increase backwash and rinse.

The test kit you have just wont read the CL you need to battle algy you have to decide on a good one.The Tayler K2006 or the TFPtest kit are the only ones i beleave in. they will test FC to 50. The TFP test kit is the better value of the 2 with the builder of the kit right here on TFP to help you with questions.

good luck
Ric W.

The kit is on my wish list - I've got to finish paying for all my kids' deposits on their summer actvities - UGH!

I'll bring the CL back up - not a problem. I'll keep doing what I have been doing.

Thanks guys - I plan on becoming a supporter too! D%$n kids take all my money :)

branchop,

The kit is on my wish list

I understand your concern about the cost of the test kit, but the test kit will cost a lot less than what your husband is going to spend on floc and clarifiers. And he WILL buy the floc and clarifiers if you don't get the pool clear soon. And, unless you plan to use the pool store to test your chlorine levels, THERE IS NO WAY for you to test the high chlorine levels you will NEED to reach and stay at without a decent test kit.

If I was unclear in the previous paragraph, let me rephrase it a different way: You are going to fight a losing battle with algae (yes, the cloudy blue water you have is still algae) all summer long unless you get a decent test kit.

Please don't think I am pushing the testkit many members buy here - the TFP test kit. The Taylor kit or the one at Leslie's will work just fine also - it is just that they are even more expensive that the TFP test kit.

Good luck.

Titanium

branchop,

I feel bad for you having to wait until the middle of June to get the test kit that you need right now. I did some thinking and I might have a way for you to get your test kit right now. That is if you can spare $13 AND have a Leslie's Pool nearby. Perhaps even other local pool stores can get these two items at reasonable prices.

http://www.lesliespool.com/browse/Home/ ... 30/I/81331

http://www.lesliespool.com/browse/Home/ ... 30/I/81348

The amount of powder and reagent are not huge, but they are certainly better than nothing. The amounts should certainly be enough for a month or so, at least. These two items will let you test the higher chlorine levels you need to run in order to clear up your algae bloom.

Leslie's will probably not have these in stock, but they will order the chemicals in without charging shipping.

I hope this helps. Now go out and get those chlorine test chemicals pronto!!

Titanium

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
UPDATE: I called my local Leslie's and he did not have the chemicals in stock. He recommended I order them online since I would get them faster than he would. Shipping was free!!! With tax is was under $15. They should be here is a few days...

Thanks so much for letting me know that Titanium!

Did not want to ignore this, but I believe Leslie's has let me down. Saw the charge through my card, but it never posted and still no chemicals.

However, based on your wonderful advice I shocked the $%&#, I mean heck, out of my pool this week. We can see the floor of the shallow end and the white drain on the deep end - so we are all cheering. It is super hot here - supppose to be near 100 for the next few days. So I am testing with what I got all the time. Even though the yellow chlorine is off my chart, I am trying to keep it the same color yellow.

Guess what? 15 days till my birthday - and all I have asked for is a test kit..... :lol:

branchop,

I'm glad to hear that your pool is looking better.

I believe Leslie's has let me down

I think Leslie's has messed with me too. I ordered some DPD/FAS liquid reagent from them and prepaid in cash. It has been about two weeks and I called them yesterday on it. They are presently checking on the status. :(

My intent was to slowly start training these clowns that there are BETTER ways of testing chlorine out on the market.

Titanium

branchop said:
Even though the yellow chlorine is off my chart, I am trying to keep it the same color yellow.

Something that can work in a pinch until you get the test kit is to use the shot glass method.

Basically, you dillute the pool water 1:1, 1:2 or 1:3, depending on how high you have to read with your OTO test. Use distilled water, not tap water. Run the test with the dilluted mix, get your reading and multiply it by the number of dillutions to get a reasonable guesstimate.

Still won't show you CC, but if you can get the high number to hold overnight, that's a good sign.

Just realized some of what I wrote can be confusing.

For a 1:1 dillution, multiply result by 2.
1:2, multiply by 3.
1:3, multiply by 4.

Etc, etc.

Be as exact as you can on amounts of pool and distilled water, to give yourself the smallest margin of error.

Ok - I finally got the chemicals. But what do I do with them? No instructions and two really big boxes with two tiny little bottles....

Of course I can see the bottom of my pool and the water is clearing everyday. Since I am holding chlorine, except for the days, I am pretty sure the algae is gone. As soon as I can find a USB cord for my camera, I will upload pictures.

My pool is still cloudy, but I feel confident it is all dirt. I vaccuum nightly, and now that I can actually SEE what I am vacuuming I am a little more productive. But I stir up as much as I vaccuum, so it is going to take probably another week of diligent vaccuuming.

Currently my numbers are as follows:

FC: anywhere from 1.5 (oops that was today) to 5+. Per the calculator I want to keep it around 6
CC: who knows
TA: 180 - I think it is a little high, but I am not having problems keeping ph in check
PH: 7.6
CYA - between 40 - 50. My dogs have bitten through the tube, so I have to be quick about this one - LOL

Once again - I cannot thank you all enough for your help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.