trying to balance water

Apr 28, 2012
I have a 4 ft deep 24 ft diameter above ground vinyl pool. I opened to clear water and immediately poured a jug of bleach to shock. the next day my numbers were 10 FC, < 0.5 CC, < 7.0 pH, and 0? TA. I don't have the reagents for the CYA test right now. I was confused by the TA test as the water turned red immediately instead of green. I noticed corrosion on the screws which confirmed the low pH reading (bright yellow on the test). I have added about 425 oz. of borax and still haven't left the yellow. I've added over 20 drops of base demand to get the test color to change to a red. After adding the borax, I'm now registering 20 TA. Is there anything else I should be doing besides just adding more borax?
Thanks in advance.

If TA turns red right away TA is zero and your PH is dangerously low. You should raise TA to at least 50 right away, give it an hour to mix in with the pump running, test PH, and adjust PH to at least 7.2 from where ever it is at that point.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Welcome! :wave:

You should be reading Pool School. Link's up on the right top of every page.

To raise TA, you need baking soda. Poolcalculator can do the math to tell you how much. Buy it at the grocery store, Costco, wherever.

That should fix the TA and stabilize the pH some so when you try to adjust it, it will stay put.

[center:3b57wzmf]
file.php
[/center:3b57wzmf]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.