New to pools, new pool...new test kit

Alscrx

May 12, 2013
CT
Hi guys, so my new pool is filled and filter ready to go. I never had a pool before so I have been reading POOL SCHOOL. Its a lot to take in, but I'll keep rereading.

I did the chlorine test and ph test.......ph looks like 6.8 and cl is zero

I do have the Tf-100 which I bought from this forums link. What should I being doing first?
Which level should be correct first?

Filter's running, no leaks, water is coming and going where it should be, right?

1) You'll need the TA test to get the dosage for acid. Go do that, plug the numbers into poolcalculator. CH is nice to know, but on a fresh fill you should be fine, because vinyl pools don't care. Tap water has zero CYA, don't
bother testing it, either.
2) Add Baking soda if TA is below about 50. Brush it around to help it dissolve.
3) Add Borax or Soda ash to raise pH.
4) Fill a sock with the necessary amount of CYA to reach your target. Aim low, you can always add more later. While you're messing around with that, 2 & 3 are mixing.
5) After the pH and TA have had half an hour or so to mix, add bleach.

What he said, but don't take too long doing it, you don't want the water exposed to sunlight for too long without chlorine in it as algae may start to grow. Also note the Baking soda will cause pH to go up some so if you have to add Baking soda to adjust TA retest pH again after half an hour or so of circulation before adding Borax / Soda Ash.

Also after you have that sock with the CYA stalibizer in it hang it in the water in front of a water return, or in front of the skimmer.

Ike

Richard320 said:
Filter's running, no leaks, water is coming and going where it should be, right?

1) You'll need the TA test to get the dosage for acid. Go do that, plug the numbers into poolcalculator. CH is nice to know, but on a fresh fill you should be fine, because vinyl pools don't care. Tap water has zero CYA, don't
bother testing it, either.
2) Add Baking soda if TA is below about 50. Brush it around to help it dissolve.
3) Add Borax or Soda ash to raise pH.
4) Fill a sock with the necessary amount of CYA to reach your target. Aim low, you can always add more later. While you're messing around with that, 2 & 3 are mixing.
5) After the pH and TA have had half an hour or so to mix, add bleach.

Hey, thanks! Yes filters on, no leaks, sucking and returning.
I did the TA test and it only took 2 drops to turn it pink. So that would be 20 right?
When you say brush the baking soda...is that like stirring it up?

I retested ph after using ph up which I had from my hot tub starter kit. Ran filter for an hour or more and it raised it very slightly. I used the whole bottle which was 16oz which I know from calculating I needed 90oz. I will use borax tomorrow when I pick it up.

Isaac-1 said:
What he said, but don't take too long doing it, you don't want the water exposed to sunlight for too long without chlorine in it as algae may start to grow. Also note the Baking soda will cause pH to go up some so if you have to add Baking soda to adjust TA retest pH again after half an hour or so of circulation before adding Borax / Soda Ash.

Also after you have that sock with the CYA stalibizer in it hang it in the water in front of a water return, or in front of the skimmer.

Ike

My TA was only 20, so I will add the baking soda before raising the PH with borax if it might go up some which is my case would be great.

I have to read pool school again for a CYA stabilizer.

Alscrx said:
Can i use chlorine pucks to raise CYA? If so how many will it take to take CYA to normal levels....i am assuming 30-50.
You could, and the pool calculator can tell you how much CYA each 8 oz puck will add to your pool down at the bottom where it says "Effects of adding chemicals". But also note that trichlor is very acidic and will lower pH, and yours is already too low. That same Effects feature will show you how much it will affect pH. They also take a long time to dissolve, so by the time the CYA is high enough to do any good, your pool will be green.

So while you could, the answer is you shouldn't. If you have pucks laying around, hang onto them. They'll keep for years if they're kept dry in the bucket, and they're useful on vacations.

WOW, i know it was long to dissolve but that sounds too long for me. I was reading granular chlorine has CYA also, the store gave me a 25lb bucket when i bought the pool. Should i use it?

Does the CYA have to be purchased at a pool store then? And is it granules?

The powder is likely dichlor. Same problems as trichlor.

You can buy CYA anywhere. Carton will be labelled "stabilizer" or "conditoner." Name and brand don't matter, just look at the ingredients list....you want cyanuric acid content of 95% or higher. Not sure if you have the time to wait for shipping, but if you Google "cyanuric acid" you can get some pretty good deals.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Smykowski said:
The powder is likely dichlor. Same problems as trichlor.

You can buy CYA anywhere. Carton will be labelled "stabilizer" or "conditoner." Name and brand don't matter, just look at the ingredients list....you want cyanuric acid content of 95% or higher. Not sure if you have the time to wait for shipping, but if you Google "cyanuric acid" you can get some pretty good deals.

Yes i believe its dichlor. From what i was reading, dichlor is fast dissolving and will add CYA very QUICKLY, but also lower PH.

I was thinking since i have it, Can i adjust the CYA..get that set. Then raise the PH up with borax?

You can use dichlor to adjust FC and CYA, in fact it is how I usually boost my CYA when it needs minor tweaking, just be very careful to measure and keep track of the effects using pool calculator as it does give you 3 things to track at once, FC, CYA and also pH, since you already have low pH you will need to raise it, plus continue to bump it up as you use the dichlor. It may be easier to add dry CYA and save the dichlor for tweaking later.

Ike

So today, I added measured amounts of baking soda, CYA, borax and FC.
I got the TA, PH, FC, and CYA exactly where they have to be. So to maintain these correct levels from what I understand......I check FC and PH daily and adjust as needed. The rest weekly?
Do I have to check CH ?

Alscrx said:
So today, I added measured amounts of baking soda, CYA, borax and FC.
I got the TA, PH, FC, and CYA exactly where they have to be. So to maintain these correct levels from what I understand......I check FC and PH daily and adjust as needed. The rest weekly?
Do I have to check CH ?
pool-school/basic_pool_care_schedule

You could probably make CH a monthly test. On the other hand, you DO have the reagents. Low Ch is no problem for you, but high CH can still cause scaling in a vinyl pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.