Please help!!

Jun 4, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
When my pool was hooked up they used a special cord to connect pool pump cord to extension cord. It died and I have been to every store in area and can't find it anywhere. My pool is currently without a pump or filter. I'm freaking out. Please. Tell me where to find one.

Without photos of your old one it is hard to tell, chances are you have a 20 amp twist lock, plugged into either a 15 or 20 amp straight plug outlet. You might also try local places that sell portable generators

OK, One step at a time...

When you say it died, Did the pump die or did the adaptor? It is somewhat unusual for there to be an adaptor to a twist-lock. If the receptacle is within 10' of the pool wall the receptacle must be a twist-lock type for either 120 or 240 volt services.

Does the pump cord have a conventional three prong plug on the end? I am guessing it does. If so then the service is 120 volts

If it does then the twist-lock plug on the other end will be a either an L5-15p or an L5-20p. Check this link to verify which one you have if there is no designation on the plug itself (there should be) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEMA_connector Next to the text on NEMA nomenclature on this page is a image of the different types of plugs and their designations. if the plug is not oe of these or does not match then try to find the designation on it and report back what you find.

I would imagine that whoever set up your pool made up that cord so you will have to put a new end on it yourself. The good thing is that all of these plugs are readily available from an electrical supply house or a well stocked hardware store

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you have a charred plug, you probably need an electrician, or at least someone handy with things electrical to look at it and get to the root cause of the problem (often corrosion in the outlet), and fix it right.

Ike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.