need help with plumbing layout on new pool

TNC

Jun 1, 2013
i am building a 18x36 kidney shape 4 ft. to 6 ft. deep with a 10x10 wading area 1 ft deep on one side. i have done everything from start to finish before except the plumbing. this is the first pool i have built on my own. i just started digging friday and will finish up with the hole monday. i was planning on 2 main drains, 2 skimmers, and 5 returns. just trying to find the best layout for the plumbing. i have no clue how it all works, lol. any help would be great.

TNC said:
i am building a 18x36 kidney shape 4 ft. to 6 ft. deep with a 10x10 wading area 1 ft deep on one side. i have done everything from start to finish before except the plumbing. this is the first pool i have built on my own. i just started digging friday and will finish up with the hole monday. i was planning on 2 main drains, 2 skimmers, and 5 returns. just trying to find the best layout for the plumbing. i have no clue how it all works, lol. any help would be great.
Check the prevailing wind and make sure there is a skimmer at the extreme downwind end, no matter if it means an extra forty feet of pipe. Trust me. The slightest breeze will push any stray leaves right past a skimmer anywhere else, and they'll collect there until they get waterlogged and sink, so you can vacuum them up later.

If I had my druthers, I'd have every suction line individually plumbed all the way to the pad, each with a separate valve.

Whether or not you plan to get one now, run the plumbing for a cleaner now. Leave the threaded pipe end in the wall esposed if need be and cap the other end. But it's easier to have it installed now. Later on you can decide if you want pressure or suction and connect the stub accordingly.

And use lots of couplings to connect the pump, the heater, and the filter.

thanks for the input, much appreciated. so you r saying i should keep the 2 drains separate all the way to the pump, add the valves then connect them? i was planning on keeping the skimmers separate to the pump, but most drains i have seen done r tied together in the floor.

TNC said:
thanks for the input, much appreciated. so you r saying i should keep the 2 drains separate all the way to the pump, add the valves then connect them? i was planning on keeping the skimmers separate to the pump, but most drains i have seen done r tied together in the floor.
Drains tied together is fine - helps prevent entrapment. But if it's plumbed through the skimmer as mine is, you can't drain water lower than the skimmers. It starts sucking air.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.