New Pool - Chemical Questions

Just finished having an IG 25,500 gal Pebble Sheen, Cartridge Filter pool put in the backyard, live in Phoenix AZ Temps are running around 95 degrees currently and new water has been in pool for 9 days. Builder gave me a Taylor 2006 test kit. Last night I tested water and results were

FC 5
PH 7.6
TA 140
CYA 30

I was feeling unsure of my results so this morning I took a water sample to two different pools supply companies.

Leslie gave me the following results

FC 5
PH 7.4
TA 90
CYA 30

Local family owned store gave me these results

FC 5
PH 7.4
TA 150
CYA 20

The builder told me that they wanted a CYA between 30 - 60 and wanted me to use the pucks and that it would rise in the next month. I love our pool builder they were great but our Super sort of poo-pooped the idea of liquid chlorine bleach. I've read pool school a bunch before purchasing the pool and during and I really feel the BBB method is the way to go, don't want to add extra stuff to the pool I don't need.

At this point I'm thinking I just need to raise the CYA 20 - 30.

I know the liquid stabilizer is more expensive but really don't feel like going through the hassle and waiting a week for the CYA to rise so my thought was that if I use the Pool Calculator and put in CYA of 25 and target 50 it says I need 221 oz of liquid stabilizer which is almost 2 gallons. So I was thinking about putting the 2 gallons in.

Questions are, am I on the right track? How do I add it to the pool? How long until it is safe to swim after adding. Any other thoughts or advice anyone can give? I'm slightly freaking out but keep telling myself in a month I'll be in a much better position with all this. Thanks for any advice!

Hi, welcome to TFP and congrats on the new pool!
If you plan to continue using the pucks (I assume they are trichlor) do not raise the CYA. Trichlor pucks contain CYA and over the course of the swim season you will be adding a significant amount of CYA to the pool. Be sure to test the CYA every 2 weeks and stop using the pucks when you get close to 60 ppm.

Most folks wait about an hour with the pump running after adding chemicals to swim.

Welcome to the forum. :lol: A builder providing you a K-2006 really says something good about them. Using the pucks to get your CYA up is just fine as long as you manage it Like zea3 posts.......you already seem to know how.

Your PB's Super needs to learn a bit more about pool water chemistry before he demeans liquid chlorine.....but he probably won't. :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.