gas heater needs fix/pool repair guy frustration!!!

tvfoxy59

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2008
Buffalo/Niagara Falls NY
Hi everyone! :wave:
my original gas heater installed with pool in 1999 was replaced 2 seasons ago with "gently used" one Teledyne Laars XE model EG 125 at suggestion of pool repair guy for $500. End of last season August 2012, heater not working. Pool repair guy (The Pool Doctor) ends up taking out inside of heater. I keep calling and he keeps telling me he'll be by to reinstall. I probably called a 100 times! :grrrr: This past week, yes ,he finally admits he cant find a part for it. I told him just bring it by I'll find someone else or whatever. He says he cant find the Regulator valve/stem to adjust pilot. He lights pilot and it is just one big flame. So, do i try and find part and obviously a new Pool repair guy or just get a new heater? I want to get swimming soon! I would appreciate any insight and info. Any recommendations for natural gas heater and installation. Thank you all in advance!

If the pilot flame area is, as you say, "one big flame", it sounds like there is a problem with the pilot orifice...possibly missing? Pictures of the bad part as well as the gas valve may shed some light on what the problem may be.

Thank you for input. I was leaning towards getting new heater as this one is older and as you say, another problem around the corner! I will not do anything myself as far as fixing this heater. too nervous!!I respect those who can! I know my limits! Don't want to blow up house or whatever.
any suggestions for new heater? size, brand,etc? thanks again :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.