HIGH ph SALT POOL/ Help lower

Hi Folks,

Opened last week, 4 yr old, 22000 salt water with vinyl liner, cartridge filter, got running and attempted to balance;

Taylor test kit reflects-
Chlorine - 8
FC - 0
TA- 60-80
CYA - 80
C.Hardness-- near zero
**PH- off chart to read, red with hint of purple, estimating 10-11**

Can you suggest what I might to to lower the PH into acceptable levels?? Last year ran steady high at about 7.8 all summer.

Thanks
Ed

Once you lower your pH as tjf suggests, you desperately need to get some chlorine in your pool.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School....an excellent place to start

I image that duraleigh is reacting to the line which says "FC - 0". FC is free chlorine, which is the kind of chlorine you want to have in the pool. The previous line that says "Chlorine - 8" is ambiguous, and might refer to TC or CC, either of which would indicate a problem.

It's up to you and usually comes in two strengths. The full-strength Muriatic Acid is 31.45% Hydrochloric Acid. It's less to carry and is usually priced more economically, but it fumes so you need to be up-wind of it when pouring. There is also usually a half-strength version that is 15-16% Hydrochloric Acid and it doesn't fume as much, but it's not always half the price so may not be as economical. I don't think the brand really matters.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Guys,

I added about 3/4 gal of muriatic acid, brought ph down (i think) overnight to a light tannish/yellowish. Now I'm thinking I'm a bit low since it was similar mostly to the 7.2 yellow on the test glass. I added a little PH+ (sodium carbonate), maybe about 24 oz, ph phenol test now shows a light reddish color. Question is, test indicator goes from tannish yellow to a light purple to dark purple. Is my medium red indicating a move towards high ph again? Initially, I had a dark red when I was told ph was high, that's why I posted to the forum and then based on that added some muriatic acid. At this point dont know whether to add a little more ph+ or a little acid?? I'm unsure where the reddish color is on the scale. Thanks again for all the advice!! Much appreciated.

Well, it was 7.2 yesterday before I added the 1 1/2 lbs of PH+ sodium carbonate, now, as I said, it's a medium red??? I dont know if thats high again or low.

I had assumed (perhaps foolishly dare I say it) that red was high ph, about 2 above the deep purple high of 7.8 on the tester, estimated at about an 11 PH, which is what orginally two days ago prompted me to add the muriatic acid, which got it to a tannish yellowish, close to the 7.2 on the tester. But now, after trying to bring it up a bit with the PH+, its a medium red, (not yellow low PH or purple high PH). Unsure at this point???

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.