Shock process interrupted by weekend trip, levels in range

May 19, 2013
South Central PA
This is my first season as a DIY pool guy. I got a lot of great help on the introduction forum with getting started with the shock process - THANK YOU!

I started the shock process last thursday: dissolving 4lbs of CYA in a sock to reach a CYA of 30, then started shocking friday morning - with a target FC of 12. My test/dose results are as follows:

5/24@0700: added 290 oz bleach (go from current to 12 [shock level])
5/24@1500: FC(7), CC(8), added 121 oz
5/24@2000: FC(6), CC(11), added 121 oz
5/25@1300: FC(11), CC(5), added 32 oz, put on solar cover bcuz we were leaving until monday evening
5/27@2000: FC(8), CC(3), added 100 oz, removed cover, pool is crystal clear
5/29@2030: FC(6), CC(3.5), swimmers eyes burning, did not add anything
5/30@2030: basic test [Cl(3 - 4), Ph(7.5)]

I have read the pool school articles for both the shock process and overnight test. Based on my results and those articles, I have not completed the shock process because the CC never reached 1.0 or less and I have not done the overnight test. However, seeing that we're in 90+ degrees right now, we're gonna use the pool, but shocking is a major inconvenience to my kids who want to swim.

What do you recommend? Should I start back into the shock process over the weekend - since my numbers seem pretty good - and just tell them NOT to open their eyes when swimming? Or, are the levels good enough to do daily testing? I don't want to do the pool half-Rear, so if not completing the shock process will cause problems - please LET ME KNOW!

Thanks

Re: Shock process interrupted by weekend trip, levels in ran

Not completing the shock process may cause problems, if you want to run an OCLT tonight and you will have a better idea in the morning. Still those elevated CC levels suggest there is still something in the water that will try to start growing again once FC comes down.

Ike

p.s. shock level is the minimum your FC should be maintained at now a max tartget goal

just to clarify - your statement about "shock level is the minimum your FC should be..." - that's only during the SHOCK process, right? Once the process is complete, then I should just use the daily test kit - testing FC once a week, but with a target range of 3 - 7 (for vinyl)

thanks

With a CYA level of 30 your ideal target daily FC level should be 3.5 (7 is a bit on the high side, but still in the acceptable range, daily minimum that is should never drop below is 2.2) and minimum shock level should be 12, or 18 for mustard algae

You have to decide if you are going to complete the shock process and have nice clear comfortable water .... or sort of do the shock just a little bit when it is convenient because my kids want to swim and suffer with burning eyes because the shock process was never completed.

Some might argue that it is not safe to even be using the pool with the high CC levels .....

You could make a lot of headway if you actually tested the water more the once or twice a day and kept the FC above shock level. With the high CC levels, you should be testing hourly.

Thanks for the feedback. No - I AM going to complete the process. I just didn't know what the ramifications were if it's not truly completed. As for it being "convenient", it's a matter of being physically around to test as often as shocking requires. This just wasn't an option last week - unless I was going to cancel my family vacation over the weekend, which was not an option.

Knowing what I know now, I would open my pool a week earlier - allowing a full weekend + following week (if needed) to focus on completing the process. However, this 1st year, changing to DIY was unplanned, but I'm glad I'm doing it.

Shock process is going well, but I do have a quick question when testing FC. I'm using Dave's TF-100, but do not have the speedstir. So, as I'm testing the FC, adding 1 drop at a time and swirling - waiting for it to turn clear, how long do I let swirl it when it turns clear to know if that's the actual FC level?

I ask because I just tested this morning before sun hit the pool to see if the overnight passed. Last nights reading was 14. This morning, it started to clear at 11, but when I kept swirling, you could see a faint pink hue show up again. So, I repeated this process - adding 2 more drops (1 at a time) - until it seemed to stay clear @ 12.

Should the sample always STAY clear once you reached the actual FC level? Or, might it continue to show a pink hue if left sit for a while? Wanna make sure I test as accurately as possible.

All the color change tests (CH, TA, FC, CC) in the TF-100 have the same endpoint....

1. Continue to add drops, one at a time, until the last drop you add produces NO further change.

2. Subtract that last drop and that is your test result.

You cannot take 30 minutes to complete each test. The test should be completed in a minute or two.

If you allow the FAS/DPD chlorine test to sit much more than that, it will slowly turn back towards red/pink and that should not be considered as part of the result.

When reading the shock "repeat steps", is it correct that UNTIL i have a CC reading of .5 or less I need to continue shocking and should perform the overnight test until that point? Just asking because I've been at this all weekend and the CC is bouncing around from as low as 2 this morning to 8 tonight. I may have compromised the process, however, because I backwashed my filter and then added about an inch of well water to bring up the level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Really no point in doing the OCLT until your CC are gone. Just keep your FC up and eventually the CC will be consumed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.