How to remove old unions and replace?

May 23, 2013
I have a cracked union for my intellichlor IC40. How do I remove the old one and attach a new one? I have the replacement but there are not any instructions on how to proceed. I need advice on removing the coupling from the pipes. They are attached with a blue glue and then I need to know what type of glue to use to reattach.
Thanks for your help :)

You will likely have to cut out a section of the PVC pipe (using a hack saw or similar powered saw) and patch in a replacement section of pipe. When working with PVC it is best to use primer first, then cement, if old are dirty PVC use cleaner, then primer, then cement. Primer comes in clear and purple, most commonly found is purple, it is messy though, (purple dye is used so inspectors can confirm primer was used), for cement I suggest using the Blue "rain or shine" cement which will cure if wet unlike clear cement. Working time for PVC cement is only a few seconds (shorter the warmer the weather) so work fast. Some fittings (mostly black ones), work better with orange CPVC universal cement, but even on these it is possible to get reasonable results using the blue rain or shine cement.

Ike

p.s. there are various youtube videos that show to work with pvc pool plumbing

There is a method demonstrated on YouTube to salvage certain types of PVC components. I've done this successfully, however it does create toxic fumes, so only do this outdoors and with the wind blowing away from you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfezjNDNxNo

I'd recommend doing this as a last resort and it's only for someone with good mechanical skills - an Aussie accent probably helps. There's several other similar videos on YouTube.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.