question on test results?

May 31, 2013
Hey guys first time posting and also my first time owning a pool. I Love this forum still learning this bbb method. I got my tf-100 test kit today and tested my water. and here is the results. FC 0.05, CC 5, TA 160 CYA 20 but may be lower, PH 7.8 CH.5 I really don't know what to make of these results filled the pool up a week along shock it once and have put two pucks in so far. I want to do the bbb method and went to the pool calculator and it's only telling to putlike a oz of bleach in . I have a 24 ft above ground pool with 13,5500 gallons what do I need to do first. thanks

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

There are a lot of possible typos with the numbers in your post. Would you care to correct it before we start making recommendations?

I am going to guess FC should be 0.5, CH should be 50, and the volume should be 13500.

A fresh fill would have 0 CYA, so you should get that up to 20-30ppm. It is a little surprising that you would have a CC of 5 already, that could point to the need to go through the Shocking Your Pool PROCESS, but it could also just be due to the CC being in your tap water.

You could test your tap water for FC, CC, pH, TA, and CH as that is usually useful information.

You also should be using bleach to initially keep the FC above 2ppm ... 41 oz of 8.25% bleach will raise it by 2ppm, not sure what you did wrong there, check the volume of the pool at the top.

thanks for the help, yes my ch would be 50. I Filled my pool up a week ago with city tap water. the water is clear and looks good . I used a pool opening kit a bag of shock and bottle of aleigcide. and have been using pucks in a floating disk. I figure what I was doing wrong on the pool calculator and it was on my gallons I have in my pool, after the corrections it said to add 126 oz of 6% bleach and 54oz of stabilizer. what is the best way to add stabilizer in solid form?

Welcome! :wave:

Scroll down on this thread until you see the pictures. i-m-new-here-but-i-ve-been-reading-everything-i-can-t59801.html

file.php

Thanks for all the advice you guys have given a green horn like me. I had my wife go today down to the local pool store and pick up some cya. put it in a sock like some of the other posts have suggested and will give it a week to see what happens. today my test results for chlorine and ph were 5-10 cl and 7.8 ph. my FC was 8ppm but my CC test showed zero. I Shocked the pool last night and puy cya in today what do you guys think

Describe what you did when you say you "shocked the pool last night." How much CYA did you add (what did you use as your target value)? Not sure what you mean when you say "my test results for chlorine and ph were 5-10 cl and then say FC was 8 and CC was 0. pH is on the high side of normal so watch that and be ready to bring it down if it continues to climb. Also, post your pool specs in your signature including size and gallons of pool, pool type (AG, IG, vinyl, plaster, etc), and your equipment including pump and filter. Having that info in your signature line will make it easier for people to chime in with suggestions.

Great that you got a TFTest Kit - you will be a pro in no time!

ridgerunner said:
Thanks for all the advice you guys have given a green horn like me. I had my wife go today down to the local pool store and pick up some cya. put it in a sock like some of the other posts have suggested and will give it a week to see what happens. today my test results for chlorine and ph were 5-10 cl and 7.8 ph. my FC was 8ppm but my CC test showed zero. I Shocked the pool last night and puy cya in today what do you guys think
The test that gave you 5-10 CL is the OTO quick test. The 5 is the FC level, the 10 would be for bromine. If you're using the powder (the FAS-DPD test) for chlorine, you can skip the colormatching. As you can see from your own posted results, it's not terribly accurate.

If the water is clear and CC = 0, there's no need to "shock". Just maintain the minimum FC level for your CYA level (or what your CYA level should be if you just added it) and you won't need to shock. I'll bet those smooth-talking pool store guys convinced you that a weekly "shock" was a vital part of pool maintenance, huh?

I sent my wife down to the pool store to get the cya. It was double in price compared to online stores.we got about 3 1/2 pounds. I put it in a sock and placed it in the pool. I put 124 oz of bleach in last night, i guess thats not shocking it , my bad I used the pool calculator for the amounts. THanks so much richard320. I will keep a eye on my levels and go from there. I Like the idea of the bbb method the pool guy at the store today told my wife that i would destory my liner and would have these other problems. I old my wife the pool guy is trying to just make money off this summer and buy his products.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.