How to stop using mineral cartidge in Zodiac Fusion Soft

May 31, 2013
Kissimmee, FL
I have a brand new pool I just installed and I wanted an SWG. The pool builder installed a Zodiac Nature2 Fusion Soft which has a mineral cartridge with it. My daughters are all blond and it is turning their hair green. I have read countless articles on here about this and the use of minerals. My question is I have also seen people say that they have stopped using their mineral cartridge on this system and just used the SWG portion of it. I want to do this but I don't see a way to get rid of the mineral cartridge as it makes up the center part of the cover. How do I stop using the mineral cartridge and just use the SWG portion of the chlorinator?

Thanks!

On page 2, Figure one. See how the cap to the mineral cartridge is just a collar as they call it. The cartridge itself fills the hole in the middle of that collar.
I will send a pic when I get the chance but that figure does show what I'm speaking of.

Thanks for your quick reply!!

Yeah. I'm trying to figure out a way to open that cartridge to get the bag out, although it doesn't appear to be a bag. I've been considering just leaving the cartridge in and not replacing it in 6 months when I'm supposed to but I'm nervous if it is ok to do that.

If they are like the stand-alone cartridges--of which I am a past victim, they can rupture and release their little metal pellets into your return stream. Leaving a depleted cartridge in there would seem to augment the risk of this happening over time. It happened to me while I was traveling and the pellets got slurped up by the main drain and blown into the pump and filter. The staining of my plaster was intense.

I would take a Dremel cutter to that thing and cut it off so that the only thing you keep is the top piece you need. Throw those nasty pellets in the trash.

Yeah, that was what I was afraid of. I'll probably do what you say, break into the cartridge...remove the innards...and if I break the casing so be it. I'll just steal the top piece and screw that back in with the collar.

I'll try it out and report back.

Thanks!

For my Fusion 2 system (SWG and Mineral Cartridge) I used a hacksaw to cut off the Fusion start-up mineral cartridge. Easy. The orange cap is still functional as I could easily cut below the cap part. After reading the many posts about basically how "useless" copper addition is and weighing the cost of replacement mineral cartridges, I did not see the point in keeping the cartridge. The bonus: the pressure dropped by 20% on the system! (It went from 10 psi to 8 psi.) Thanks TFP, for giving me the confidence to do this. The mineral system sounded like a great idea: silver ions and copper ions doing great things and all........ Sounded good until I looked at the cost of a replacement cartridge. Beware of the marketing gimmicks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Old thread resurrected here, but I'm pretty sure my new Nature 2 (2 years ago) had a plastic lid in it when taken out of the box, just the top part to plug the hole - no need for a cartridge or to mutilate one. So thinking you might reach out to Zodiac if needed to see if there is just the lid or plug, whatever you want to call it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.