Coming Soon To a Yard Near Me?...Maybe...?

DMAN11

LifeTime Supporter
May 12, 2008
Baton Rouge, LA area
Disclaimer: Sorry for the length..... :-D

OK everybody, as you guys know we cancelled our AG earlier this week due to "technical difficulties" we were experiencing. We have now made a new decision......we are going with an Inground Vinyl. We feel that since the beginning (sometime about 1-1/2 yrs ago) when we started all the shopping, researching, and calling around, this has been the setup that would be best for us. We then went through sooooo many options of above ground, inground, steel wall, aluminum walls, above ground in the ground, AG in half way, on and on and on...... We were always concerned about the privacy issue in our subdivision with the AG pools, and of course we were always concerned with the prices of inground pools. BUT, we feel like this is the move for us.

I'm writing this to get your opinions on the setup, please tell me what you guys think about it and what kind of other things I need to look out for or ask about from our PB.

Here's the Setup:

16X32 Inground Vinyl (Regatta Swimming Pools) <--- Any opinions on the name brand???
4 ft radius corners
3-1/2' to 5-1/2' to 3-1/2' deep
24" Hayward Sand Filter
1 hp Hayward Pump
Double Automatic Timer (1 for pump and 1 for cleaner??)
Automatic Chlorinator
Behind the liner drain
Main drain
8 ft steps
Ladder <--------Not sure about this, is this a bad idea for vinyl walls?? (27 mil on sides)
Handrail by steps
Premier Liner---- 20 mil on bottom and 27 mil on sides
Polaris 280 w/ booster pump
1- Hayward ColorLogic LED Light
1 skimmer <---------Is this enough, or should there be 2 ?
2 Jets <--------Is this enough? or should we ask for more?
Maintenance kit <------Standard stuff I suppose. I plan on getting the TF100 test kit from Jason? I think....
Concrete deck --- 4 ft along sides, 8 ft along ends

We chose not to go with the SWG to start. We felt that we will start with chlorine (really want to study up on BBB and try that), and then we can add a SWG later if we choose right?

The PB also said they have been seeing issues with the Hayward light when installing SWG's in the same pools. You guys hear anything of the sort? If we wanted the SWG, then we would have gotten a Pentair light. I don't suppose there would be much difference right?

The PB also mentioned Pristine Blue as an alternative for chemicals.... Can you guys give me the skinny on Prestine Blue?? She uses something called Synergy(?spelling?) in her personal pool, but said that is pretty costly. She recommended the Prestine Blue (and yes,,,, of course she sells it)....hehe

Well, I think that's about it,,,,,as if that's not enough for now....hehe So, you guys look this over and please let me know how this looks. We really want to get something we can be proud of and really enjoy knowing that we didn't get "duped"!

Thanks......

DMAN :goodjob:

Attachments

• photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    367.1 KB · Views: 18
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    278.9 KB · Views: 12
Pristine Blue is another copper product.

Ladders are fine with vinyl, and I'd imagine are required by code in most places.

The only things I can think to comment on right now are the returns and the corners

You probably want a return in the steps. These tend to be bug traps, and adding one there helps.

4' radius corners can restrict some of your cover options. Nothing works better for solar covers than a standard rectangle with 2' radius corners. Not really a big deal, just something to be aware of.

That looks fairly good.

Duraleigh sells the test kit.

Stay away from Pristine Blue. It is a copper based system, tends to stain, and is not safe without also using chlorine. If you are also using chlorine, why bother with copper?

If you can get a two speed pump you could save quite a bit on electricity without too much extra up front cost.

Ladders work with vinyl.

Two skimmers would be better, but one is enough, particularly with a main drain. Two returns should be fine. I am assuming jets means returns and not spa jets.

Thanks John and Jason for the quick replies, and the votes of confidence.

JohnT,,,, about the jet in the steps, we can add jets, so if we do add one to the steps, do we request it in a certain place or will they put it in a certain spot??

Jason,,,, I'll check on the 2-speed pump thing. I have heard and read that the 2 speed would be better, I'll check to see if we can upgrade. I'll also check about the 2nd skimmer. Same question as the jet in the steps, will I need to specify a certain spot? Or will(should) they know the best spot for it?

And as for this,,,,"I am assuming jets means returns and not spa jets."......I AM TOO!?!?! hehe :-D

Thanks you both for the info on the ladder, feel better now. And thanks for the heads up on the Prestine Blue, I guess we'll just stick the Chlorine tried and true or do alot more reading on the BBB right???

Thanks.......

DMAN

Hmmm, Are you guys tired of me already?? hehe I hope not......

Don't mean to get a little impatient here, but we're really hoping for some more voices of experience to show up....

Please help us out and let me know what you guys think about the setup and questions...

Thanks....

DMAN

For better circulation I would have 2 returns installed in the steps, they go in on the sides. Just helps keep them clean or else you will always be vaccuuming the steps. I would go with the 2 speed pump, saves on electrical in the longrun. I did the 2 foot radius for cover issues. With the 4 foot you'll run into cost issues on covers later. Ladder is usually code for any pool. Skimmer can be placed where you want. I think one is fine you can always add a pool skim if you want later. Usually it is about 500$ more for an extra skimmer, which includes the pbs 200% markup :wink:

Moved from another thread. JasonLion

DMAN11 said:
Hey everybody,,,,again... We have signed a contract for an Inground Vinyl Pool and I just wanted to get a few more opinions on the equipment list to see what you guys think about what is included and what we may want to change or add...

So, here we go, this is the setup:

16X32 Inground Vinyl (Regatta Swimming Pools) <--- Any opinions on this name brand???
4 ft radius corners <-----------------------Probably going to switch it to 2 ft radius (as per TFPers)
3-1/2' to 5-1/2' to 3-1/2' deep
24" Hayward Sand Filter
1 hp Hayward Pump <------------------Going to ask about and may upgrade to a 2-speed pump (as per TFPers)
Double Automatic Timer (1 for pump and 1 for cleaner??) <------I think this is right...Any clarification??
Automatic Chlorinator
Behind the liner drain
Main drain
8 ft steps
Ladder <--------Not sure about this at first, but have been reassured by TFPers...
Handrail by steps
Premier Vinyl Liner-- Cheyenne/Crystal---- 20 mil on bottom and 27 mil on sides
Polaris 280 w/ booster pump <----------Considered Pentair Legend also,,,,any opinions???
1- Hayward ColorLogic LED Light <-----------Also considering Pentair SAM (?) ,,,,,any opinions??
1 skimmer <---------Is this enough, or should there be 2 ?
2 Jets <--------Is this enough? or should we ask for more? <------may get a 3rd on steps as reccomended here
Maintenance kit <------Standard stuff I suppose. I plan on getting the TF100 test kit
Concrete deck --- 4 ft along sides, 8 ft along ends <---------Will probably change a little, to suit our patio and yard layouts

So that's about it for the package. What do you guys think about this equipment and you'll notice the little notes and questions on the sides....

Also, I have been reading about control systems that can control everything like pump, cleaner, lights, water feature, etc... Can you guys give me any ideas about something that might work for our equipment??

We do want to add a water feature of some sort. We really like the waterfall idea along with a fire bowl along side....any ideas on this??

Thanks for any and all info and opinions, as this is our first and the multitudes of experience here is a huge help....

DMAN

Jason,

Did I do something wrong by putting this post over in the Pool Equipment forum?

If so I apologize, but I was just trying to get some more advice on our equipment choices. I am really not too sure about some of these things as the only real experience we have with pools is that,,,,,,,well,,,, we have swam in some. I really want to make educated choices. I do read a bunch of the other threads that have similar topic in different forums, so that's why I posted.

When I didn't get many responses in the "Pool Build" forum, I thought putiing equipment questions in the "Equipment" forum might help.

Again, I apologize for any wrong doing..... Guess I'm stuck with reading other threads.

DMAN

It is better to keep the entire discussion about one issue together in one place. It helps people answer your questions if they see the entire context. While the focus of your question has shifted to equipment from building, it is still the same question and is fine in either area. Keeping everything together is more important in this instance than changing areas.

Both areas have similar visibility. If you aren't getting the answers you want it helps greatly to be more specific. It also helps to add a comment, or "bump" message, to the existing thread so that it shows up on the list of recent posts.

DMAN,

Let me offer this to get you better responses. Limit the number of questions in one post. Responders usually take a pretty long time composing a careful, well-thought response and to respond to a post with twenty questions can take over an hour....especdially since most of your questions are subjective......I just can't type that long....My poor old brain drifts off the subject and I quickly become incoherent. :lol:

I'll start by picking off a couple....repost your other questions in a more narrow focus and keep them simple...you'll get lots of help.

Now, about your skimmers and returns. Simply, more is almost always better One skimmer and two returns might be just a little skimpy for your size pool. I would suggest two skimmers and 3 returns would be just about right. :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Dave,,,,

The advice is appreciated. I'll try to do a couple posts with more specific questions. It's just that when I start, with all the questions I have, I just keep typing on and on and then end up with all these in one place....hehe

Just sooooo many questions.....

Thanks Again,,,

DMAN

Thanks Joyce and Dave,,,,

I appreciate the replies.

Dave,,,, don't have any pics yet, we're just doing all the foot work right now. We have signed a contract, and are on a list. Looks like it will be a while before any action takes place. The builder we chose is one out of the 6 we talked to. He owns the business and installs all his own pools along with his son and a couple others I believe he said. That is one of the things that I liked about him is that HE does the work, not some subs that works for him,,,,,like the last installers we had. If something happens, or goes wrong, he will be here...(hopefully???)...hehe. We are wanting to finalize all the equipment choices and stuff for when the time comes and make any changes to the list we have now.

But you can bet that as soon as we get started, I will post pics regularly......

Thanks Again,

DMAN

Just wanted to chime in and echo what the other guys said about pristine blue. It is Crud. Don't let the pool store talk you into that stuff as its expensive and basically ineffective without the aid of chlorine. Thankfully I got away from that stuff very early on with my new pool(last summer) with much thanks going to the TFP gang!

DMAN11 said:
We have signed a contract, and are on a list. We are wanting to finalize all the equipment choices and stuff for when the time comes and make any changes to the list we have now.

DMAN

Ok I am just a dumb ole ABG pool owner :oops: And do not know to much about IG builds, but what strikes me as weird is you say you have signed a contract but you still have not decided on what equipment you are going to have? So is this a blank contract you signed? And once you pick your equipment, the builder gets to just fill in the blanks for the amount? :shock:

Poolidiot said:
DMAN11 said:
We have signed a contract, and are on a list. We are wanting to finalize all the equipment choices and stuff for when the time comes and make any changes to the list we have now.

DMAN

Ok I am just a dumb ole ABG pool owner :oops: And do not know to much about IG builds, but what strikes me as weird is you say you have signed a contract but you still have not decided on what equipment you are going to have? So is this a blank contract you signed? And once you pick your equipment, the builder gets to just fill in the blanks for the amount? :shock:

I would think change orders are a common practice in contract law. While if the pool builder wanted to be a jerk, he could stick to the letter of the contract, most pool builders will remain flexible with the equipment up to the point of no return (he ordered it or installed it).

Lershac said:
I would think change orders are a common practice in contract law. While if the pool builder wanted to be a jerk, he could stick to the letter of the contract, most pool builders will remain flexible with the equipment up to the point of no return (he ordered it or installed it).

I would agree that change orders are some what common ( I am a contractor but not pool contractor) But I would really want everything in the contract before I signed and then have the option to change my mind. Most change orders are for things that were either not thought of or missed during design. But I guess if the DMAN is happy then that is all that matters, it just sorta hit me a weird.

I agree with you PoolIdiot- I wouldn't have signed a contract with soooo much up in the air as DMAN.

DMAN- Just a suggestion- You need all of your ducks in a row before signing contracts IMO. Yes you can change things later but what if you don't like any of the pricing issues from your now contracted PB?

What will you do if you cannot come to an agreement on say pump pricing or how many skimmers to have or how many returns are included in the price etc.?

I'm not saying that your PB is bad but it seems you picked a new contracter very quickly after cancelling your AGP build. This also doesn't mean you are doomed either, evrything could be just fine.

Just be careful...is all I'm saying. You need to make sure you are protecting your interests as this is an expensive adventure.

Also it helps to read through some of our pool builds to see what we went through and how to prevent some of our mistakes...it helps. It sure helped me ( and I still made mistakes :oops: ) Read the stickies on picking a pool builder this may give you some additional info that could help also. Good Luck :-D

OK guys, here it is.....

PI,,,, Yes we signed a contract, and yes all the equipment is listed and set to go the way it is listed in the beginning of this thread. BUT, since we have some time before the build actually starts, the PB has allowed us to go through and make changes (as Lershac says), up until a certain point. The contract can be changed if necessary as long as both parties agree on the changes. Of course if we choose to add a 3rd jet, and the PB's cost for that is $100, then it's my choice to pay it or not or discuss it with them and try to come to an agreement.

Whoozer,,,, thanks for the suggestions and don't worry, it was soon after (2 days to be exact) of our cancellation that we signed, but this is not a new PB to us. As I also said earlier, we have been looking and talking to PB's for at least 1 1/2 yrs now. So yes, when we cancelled the other, it was easy to talk to this one again and sign with them, because we already researched them.

The pool comes with the equipment package listed above, I am merely trying to get opinions on how I can better it if that is possible. I would make these decisions based on experience and expertise of other owners here and others that I've spoken to, then go to my PB with these changes or additions and see if we can agree on them. Yes, there may be sticking points, but they are being very flexible with us.

As for the build threads Whoozer,,,,,those are probably the reasons some people here are already tired of seeing me post any more questions....hehehe (i hope not). I have been reading them constantly along with doing searches on equipment and of course trying to "get schooled" from all of you guys.....

Thanks for the info, and all the suggestions.....

DMAN

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.