Please help a newbie identify pool equipment

cfos

May 26, 2013
I'm doing my best with reading pool school as well as a book on Pool Maintenance (Tamminen, 2007; Ultimate Guide to Pool Maintenance) and am hoping for some pointers identifying my equipment.

I believe Yellow circle is my pump for the spa jets (must be filled with water prior to use, yes?)

Green circle is pump for pool.

Orange rectangle is a Chorine/Bromine Feeder (http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/R24294D ... erComm.pdf) -- I understand this may be a really stupid question for many, but I'm doing my best so please forgive my naivety, -- is this an automatic chlorinator that I fill will tablets? It seems to be from what I can discern from the pdf. And from this:

From what I understand about chlorinators, I can fill it with Triclor and it will control my chlorine for me. But having been to Pool School, I get the impression that Trichlor... bad. But it seems to me that this pool system was either designed or modified to handle Trichlor. Could someone please help me figure out what I've got. As I've said in my first post, I inherited a pool with the house. It is an inground, concrete pool measuring 17.6' wide,by 40.5' long. I'm assuming an average depth of 5' and estimate 26,700 gallons. I cannot find the instruction/guides for most of this equipment and the seller of the home flipped it and has no knowledge of the pool. A professional company (Deep Blue Pools and Spas, Utah) has opened it for me and I scheduled a cleaning for Tuesday June 4th. I want to make the most of this appointment and, hopefully, take over control of my pool. Any comments are appreciated. Please let me know if I am accurate in my identifying those three pieces. Thanks in advance.

Yellow does appear to be a separate pump and spa jets would be likely
The green pump is the circulation and filtration pump for both the pool and the spa ... valves are used to adjust where the water is sucked from and where it returns.

The orange does look like a chlorinator and you are right continued use of trichlor leads to problems.

If you add another picture of the plumbing from a different angle, we might be able to help determine what the valves are for.

EDIT:
You do appear to have a SWG chlorinating system the cell would be the grey bulge in the plumbing next to the filtration pump I think. The electronic controller does not have anything to do with the orange chlorinator.

Thank you for your reply. Here are more shots. I believe (because it's written there) one valve is the skimmer and the second is the vacuum:

The valve that is parallel with the black plastic (closest to us) is labelled skimmer, the other (farthest) is vacuum. I believe the skimmer is currently on and the other is off. If I wanted to run a pool vacuum, would I flip the valves? Meaning, do I turn the skimmer off and the vacuum valve on? I imagine I take my pool vacuum, hook up the roller to a tube; fill tube with water; plug tube into skimmer(?) -- The pool company guy had the vacuum tube plugged into, what I thought was an intake on the wall of the pool (almost all videos on youtube plug the vacuum hose into the skimmer) -- not directly into the skimmer. I'm sorry if I'm not using the proper vocabulary, still learning.

Valve on top of "gray bulge" in original pic:

Text written on "gray bulge":

For completeness, I believe this is the "control box". It is on the wall in the pool equipment room. The three cords in the first picture I posted in the first post of this thread lead into this box:

Not pictured, the heater.

I can not tell what is going on with the actuated valves ... in your first picture ... add a picture of the entire pad from a different angle.

You must have a separate vacuum port in the side of the wall. That is where you would connect the suction cleaner. Then open the other black valve and close the skimmer valve until you have the appropriate suction for the cleaner to work (they often have a little flow meter that can be put in the hose to get the right amount of suction.

You are showing me pictures of the filter ... the grey bulge I was taking about is smaller right next to the pump partly inside the green circle ... that is your SWG.

Of note: Yesterday, when I went into the pool equipment room, I noticed the plastic top was off the pump that was associated with the spa jets. I had also noted that my water had dipped below the skimmer in the pool and wonder if the two were associated. I refilled this pump with water and tested the jets using the control panel (2nd picture; 1st post). The only jets I noticed that (were running) were in the spa (see picture below):

Shouldn't there be jets associated with the pool? Or is the pressure for the pool jets at a lower power?

Here is another shot of the pool valves. I hope this addresses the question above -- please let me know. Thanks again for your post!

Gray bulge -- Canister between the pipes... I think this is what you were referring to...?

Or the pump, which is kinda gray...? Again, forgive my newb-ness.

Thanks again for your posts!

The separate pump is likely ONLY for the spa therapy jets. The main pump/filter is used for circulation and filtration of both.

The bump on the pump motor is just a capacitor. Although in the pic above is what I thought was the SWG, but may infact be just a check valve. Can not tell based on these pictures.

You still have not shown me a picture of the entire plumbing from a different angle. If you look at the first picture can you tell how all the pipes are connected? They all blend together at the bottom of the picture.

Maybe this would go better if you asked specific questions about what you want to know.

Good point. I'm sorry if I've not been clear. I really appreciate your patience and willingness to educate.

What I would like to know is the following:

1. Know what each piece of equipment is/does. I think you've already clarified most of this for me. I will try to provide better pictures, although, now that I've picked up my kids, it may have to wait until tomorrow. Having said that, I do have these pictures:

This is the first picture I posted, without circles. I think this encompasses a big picture view of all the pipes, the two pumps, the chlorinator, the filter and the heater:

Here is the bottom-most aspect of the pipes -- I believe this is the pool return and spa return (as labeled):

Here is another perspective that I've tried to capture all the pipes, etc:

I believe the upper right pump is spa only. I believe the pump in the middle is the pool pump and the skimmer pump. I believe both of these tubes to be the "intake" and to be pumping water from my pool to here. Is that correct? I also have a question related to this skimmer pump -- There is a basket connected to this pump that has collected leaves, etc., that has been sucked up by the skimmer. Are these contents under pressure? What should I do to open and empty the contents? Do I have to have the pump "off" in order to clean this out? Intuition suggest that I do (and as I type this, it does seem like a stupid question, but I'd rather be thought of as stupid then have pride and a broken piece of equipment or hurt myself being foolish). Please advise me as to how to best empty this skimmer.

2. Related to the black valves with red handles *pictured above*. I believe the valve to the skimmer is on and the valve to the vacuum is off. If I wanted to hook up my vacuum (like this; not promoting this site below, just using it for the picture):

http://www.pleasurepoolsno.com/2010/10/ ... asy-steps/

I believe I have to submerge my vacuum, fill tube with water, hook it to the pool intake, and then switch the vacuum valve on. After turning this valve on, if I turn off the skimmer, I should get more suction to the vacuum. When done, I turn off the vacuum valve and then turn the skimmer back on? Does this seem right?

3. Though I understand most people may use liquid bleach, has anyone any experience with the type of chloronater?

4. I see flow in the pool pump/skimmer pictured above, but I do not notice flow in any jets in the pool. I'm sure it must be working but maybe I am not noticing the flow because the flow out of the spa jets is so great and maybe the pool jets are not as high pressure? Is this an accurate assumption?

5. Finally, the pool company mentioned that I should expect this pool shed to appear wet (the floor) and that is normal. Is it? Or should it be bone dry? I think I've read elsewhere that I should expect there to be some water leaking, but I would like to hear from the people here.

Bump -- I tried rephrasing my questions in the post above, but have gotten no more responses. Briefly:

1. What do I need to do to empty the skimmer basket associated with the pool equipment. Contents appear under pressure. Does the pump need to be turned off before opening?

2. Could someone clarify the process of hooking up a vacuum? Can I run the vacuum with both valves opened? Suggestions? I know I can try it and find out, but would still appreciate someone's clarification.

3. Has anyone use the chlorinator pictured above? Could someone relay their experience. I'm concerned about improperly opening it (chlorine gas, etc.). I'm considering using it should I be away from home for a few days here and there.

4. I'm not noticing jets in the pool, only in the spa. Is it possible that the flow is too low for me to notice the pool jets? Or could it be that I'm not properly turning them on *only have spa jets on?* or need to repair the pool jets.

5. Should the floor of the pool equipment room be "wet" as pictured above? Does this seem to be a reasonable amount of water?

Thanks.

cfos said:
Bump -- I tried rephrasing my questions in the post above, but have gotten no more responses. Briefly:

1. What do I need to do to empty the skimmer basket associated with the pool equipment. Contents appear under pressure. Does the pump need to be turned off before opening?

2. Could someone clarify the process of hooking up a vacuum? Can I run the vacuum with both valves opened? Suggestions? I know I can try it and find out, but would still appreciate someone's clarification.

3. Has anyone use the chlorinator pictured above? Could someone relay their experience. I'm concerned about improperly opening it (chlorine gas, etc.). I'm considering using it should I be away from home for a few days here and there.

4. I'm not noticing jets in the pool, only in the spa. Is it possible that the flow is too low for me to notice the pool jets? Or could it be that I'm not properly turning them on *only have spa jets on?* or need to repair the pool jets.

5. Should the floor of the pool equipment room be "wet" as pictured above? Does this seem to be a reasonable amount of water?

Thanks.

1. Yes, equipment needs to be off to empty pump basket- and 4. if the basket it clogged and/or filters clogged the flow would be reduced to the point where you would not feel anything coming from the returns in the pool - or one of the valves is closed preventing flow to the pool.

2. You need to isolate one of the skimmers so that the majority of suction is through one skimmer, and that is where you will hook up your vacuum hose. Is this a manual vacuum hose/vac head/pole you are talking about?

3. Yes I've used it and it can release fumes if there is poor ventilation - just don't have your face above it and try not to breath in the fumes when you open it.

4. See my answer in 1 above - and it's possible that you have to play with the valves to figure the correct setup. I would have a friend help you with a 2 way radio so you can figure out what's what while one of you adjusts valves, etc.

5. No, you have a leak from somewhere. A small amount is not a big deal but ideally you should try to figure out what is leaking.

You have a controller for a saltwater generator but I don't see a salt cell installed in the plumbing. That grey thing looks like there may have been one there at one time. A salt cell would have an electrical cord and be plugged in...

The two grey valves with red handles - I believe one of those is probably your pool returns and it's closed. does opening it provide flow to the pool? Empty the pump basket first.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay looked at the pic again. Those two grey valves with handles are probably one or more skimmers and/or a bottom drain as they are on the suction side of the pump plumbing. Not sure why its labeled pool vacuum...You vacuum through skimmers, as you said correctly (priming hose, etc and stick the hose in the skimmer hole) by isolating that skimmer hole through adjusting valves you can increase or reduce suction. If you have a main drain, closing that valve slightly or completely will increase suction.

If the pool returns are closed so that the spa gets all the water return, I would think the spa would be overflowing...

CFOS, Welcome to TFP.

1. To empty the skimmer basket - Turn off pump motor. When all stops and there's no water moving thru or around in the pump, unscrew the clear plastic lid to the pump well, and remove. You SHOULD find a basket inside, that you must turn to unlock and remove. When notches in basket align with tabs inside the pump well, lift out basket and empty it clean. Return basket to pump, align, turn basket, and fold down basket handle if there is one. Using a pool grease lubricant, lubricate very nicely the large O-ring (about as thick as a worm) that encircles the clear lid. Put the clear plastic lid back on tightly, but not crazy-tight! Re-start pump motor. You can do this for both of your pumps.

2. Vacuuming - Assuming your pool has a vacuum port in the wall of the pool, as it probably does, since you have a pipe labeled for it - attach the vacuum head and handle to the hose, fill the hose as you supposed, and plug the hose into the wall port. Now comes the tricky part. When you go to the equipment area, and turn the valve to pull water from that port, the vacuum will start pulling, and moving. And you will be in the pump area. So, it's a good idea to have a helper keep a hand on the vacuum pole handle and not let it run away into the pool! Vacuum the pool slowly, 1/3 the speed of vacuuming carpet, maybe even slower. Cover every area, as much of the pool as possible, even the sides. When you're done, have your helper hold the vacuum pole handle while you turn off that vacuum port. Remove the vacuum from the pool, rinse with clean tap water, and store it away for the next use.

Now - for the question about the valves. Usually, to direct suction to the vacuum, you will turn down the skimmer or main drain (or both) while vacuuming, but that really depends on the pressure rise that shows on your filter pressure gauge. You can close them but don't let the pressure rise more than a few points. If it does, open them up a bit, til the pressure is a only few points above the usual running pressure.

3. Sorry not familiar with that type of chlorinator.

4. The pool doesn't have jets, but does have returns, maybe even directional eyeballs, that are probably up to 1 inch in diameter, surrounded by a collar in the walls of the pool, about 8 to 12 inches below the water-line. The water from the filter flows moderately smoothly back into the pool thru them, and they are often located near 2 or 3 corners of the pool, but generally not near the skimmer.

5. Pool shed floors are often wet or damp from leaks, but they don't need to be. It would be perfect if it were generally dry, except when you were slogging around in there! In fact, some leaks will keep the water in your pool from moving swiftly enough to be cleaned efficiently by the filter. For instance, a hairline crack in the clear pump cover can let air in, create bubbles, and disturb the sand or DE in a filter.

You are on the right track.
I'm sure others will have other opinions, and different suggestions, but I hope this will boost your confidence just a bit!
Alan

That pump basket does not have a handle and does not turn, it just lifts out. Inspect it for any cracks. Then stick your finger in the hole behind the basket and feel if the impeller is clogged with debris - that would obstruct flow as well.

If the lid is stuck (cuz they didn't lube it as Alan described) use a rubber mallet and tap it gently to loosen.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.