newbie needs help with intex pump, gfci?

firstladykatie

Bronze Supporter
May 31, 2013
Hi. I am a pool-frustrated mom of 6 married to a traveling, non-handy guy. We bought and put up a used 26' ultra intex pool last week. The previous owners told me to check out BBB here (which I did and was using), but now I am having trouble with the filter pump. We've had too much rain, so I let water out of the pool yesterday during storms and then needed to run filter today. It will not start, despite me drying everything around it, re-setting the gfci on our outlet, and trying to also re-set it on the cord/plug. The top button on the box thing at the end of the plug, which I assume is a re-set, has the plastic missing, so it's just a little hole where you have to reach in and push a piece. When I do, the light comes on. When I push the "test" button, the light is not on. The directions on the cord box thing say to do that, but not what it means. The wires going into the box thing have been taped and are loose, although my mechanical friend who helped us set it up said the wires are all connected. It ran last week, but nothing since the rain. Any ideas just to get me back in business? We've been skimming LOTS of leaves and crud out all day, and we really need to run the filter. And if I give up on this and can find a sand filter (looked all over town, but none in stock), can anyone tell me what I need to do to switch to that? I've heard they're easier to use, but I don't have to use saltwater, correct? I'd be thankful for any advice you can give.

Welcome to TFP.

When you press the reset button and the light comes on does the pump run?
You only press the test button when you want to make sure the unit is working correctly. Pressing the test button trips the unit and you have to press the reset button again to get it to work. Once you press the reset button don't press the test button.