CYA in a skimmer sock?

May 22, 2013
St Louis, MO
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Picked up my 17lbs of stabilizer yesterday & wanted to start adding it today since it's going to rain the next day or two. FC is down to 16.5, CYA is zero. We turned the SWG back on & set it to 20%. I backwashed this AM & cleaned the pump skimmer basket.

As it started pouring rain on me, I put about 2/3 of a 5lb bag of stabilizer into a skimmer sock (it's a debris sheild thingy on the skimmer basket), then put the basket back. Is this okay??

About how often should I check/add more stabilizer? I didn't even get a whole 5lbs in and I'm supposed to put 17lbs in.

Thanks!!
Cathy

Put more in regular socks and hang them in front of the returns ... tie them to a pole or something so they dangle in front of the jet.

Is this a clean fill? Are you sure the CYA is starting at 0?

I do see that the 17 lbs should raise your CYA by about 70ppm.

Not a clean fill.. but a post-algae bloom recovery. LOTS of vacuum to waste over the last 2 weeks. I'm out of R-0013 & have a big bottle en route from Amazon, so for now, I'm reduced to using the test strips.. which show 0.

I used a pair of my daughter's tights ~ they hold more and I could fill each leg with the stabilizer and they dangled in front on my return. The tights worked I think even handier than a sock, once you get passed the fact they do look like little legs dangling :shock:

I wouldn't use the skimmer basket, might get caught up in the filter. Do like the others mentioned and put them in a sock hanging in front of a return jet.

Do note that the CYA will take up to a week to dissolve and show any reading on your tests. Be careful not to add too much... or you'll find yourself draining water to get the level back down.

Sounds like a plan ... unless you have reason to suspect that you need to go through the shock process (you did say you had algae). Then I would only raise it up to 30-40ppm to start.

Cathy9887 said:
Ok, so if 17lbs is required, maybe I'll do 3 of the 5lb bags (15 lbs) for now... Wait a week, then retest??

I'd suggest only 2 bags instead of 3. You can *always* add more later if need be, but its a bear to get out if you overshoot. And are you *sure* the current level is starting out from zero cause if not you might be adding more than you want too.

YippeeSkippy said:
Cathy9887 said:
Ok, so if 17lbs is required, maybe I'll do 3 of the 5lb bags (15 lbs) for now... Wait a week, then retest??

I'd suggest only 2 bags instead of 3. You can *always* add more later if need be, but its a bear to get out if you overshoot. And are you *sure* the current level is starting out from zero cause if not you might be adding more than you want too.
Cathy9887 said:

I might add only one 5 lb. bag and wait until the pool chlorine is stable. my test strips showed cya 80 to 100 but my pool shop
tested over 200 twice and 180 another week. this is down from cya 310 the year before. I drain as it rains......
my new test kit showed 160 yesterday but my pool is stable now. I do not know if excess chlorine might mask you reading of zero
as you say you came off a algae bloom. use BBB and let things settle down. my test strips are aquacheck. just use it as a cya guide.
and be patient use the strips and bleach to keep a decent chlorine level and PH.
just a hunch, and if you have a local pool shop that does free testing try it.

eaamon said:
I might add only one 5 lb. bag and wait until the pool chlorine is stable. my test strips showed cya 80 to 100 but my pool shop
tested over 200 twice and 180 another week. this is down from cya 310 the year before. I drain as it rains......
my new test kit showed 160 yesterday but my pool is stable now. I do not know if excess chlorine might mask you reading of zero
as you say you came off a algae bloom. use BBB and let things settle down. my test strips are aquacheck. just use it as a cya guide.
and be patient use the strips and bleach to keep a decent chlorine level and PH.
just a hunch, and if you have a local pool shop that does free testing try it.

We highly do NOT recommend the use of test strips to maintain a pool ... they are anything be accurate. Pool store testing is also worth about as much as it costs ... especially for CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
well my new taylor test kit has some items made in China so I am suspicious as to the QUALITY!
use kit, free store testings and test strips made in USA as a 'guide'...with "patience."
yes I did say to add a 1/3 what she was going to do. the retest....you do not need a ton of CYA if
you use strips to keep a check and see if things move while pool becomes stable...the week wait you say.

Yeah.. as much reagent as it takes to properly check CFA, I definitely will be using up my strips for quick maintenance checks.. and then use my drop tests for more accurate numbers a little less regularly, or if anything seems off.

I haven't found the seeds to a money tree yet, so I can't quite justify pitching an entire box of strips if I KNOW they aren't 100% accurate, and if I plan on using my drops kit to balance & sanitize, and only use the strips for general day-to-day checks. Until they're gone, anyway. :)

eaamon said:
well my new taylor test kit has some items made in China so I am suspicious as to the QUALITY!
use kit, free store testings and test strips made in USA as a 'guide'...with "patience."
yes I did say to add a 1/3 what she was going to do. the retest....you do not need a ton of CYA if
you use strips to keep a check and see if things move while pool becomes stable...the week wait you say.
It is a bit difficult to interpret your post, so I may be misunderstanding.......

I think you are mistrusting your Taylor kit because it is made in China and suggesting test strips because they are made in USA and pool store testing because it is free.

Taylor has proven over and over that they are the standard against which all other pool testing is judged.

Test strips, regardless of who makes them are simply unreliable....read more on this forum and you will see thousands of examples. What's the point in testing when you can't trust the results?

Pool store testing is worth exactly what you pay for it.

i was flat out lied to at our local pool store last week. I did the diluted FC test with my DPD drop test and it maxed out on the color mmatch, so I know it was at LEAST a 10... but when they tested, he swore I was under 5 FC & I needed 8-10 gallons of 10% shock in order to properly shock our pool to kill an algae bloom. When I questioned his results, he swore my numbers were for TC and not FC.. and when I told him I was using a DPD test, a slight look of panic breezed over his face. LOL. My FAS-DPD arrived 2 days later, and sure enough... My FCs were (now) at 43!!! Shock level should have been between 16-20. *shrug*
Yeah.. my own fault.. but I'm chalking it up to a necessary evil that just HAD to happen so both my husband and i could faithfully trust our own testing and know the pool stores are simply out to make money..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.